Carbonating in Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscipleofDionysus

Reaction score
Hey all, so for all my brews I carbonate in the bottle and they've turned out great, besides the last one, ended up a bit over-carbonated, but anyways now I have a bit of a quandary. I have an oktoberfest lagering and a barleywine aging. These are both in secondaries now and I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to carbonate these in bottles properly since the majority of the yeast will no longer be viable I'm assuming. Should I add some dry yeast to the bottling bucket? If so, how will I know how much? Really don't wanna end up with bottle bombs or flat beer. Anybody have some insight into this?

Unless you filter it, it should still have some yeast in suspension. If you want to drink it fast add some dry yeast to carbonate fast. If you are in for some extended aging the remaining yeast should be enough to carbonate over time

Back