Carbonating in a 15 litre drum, instead of bottles 🤔

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

second_skin

Reaction score
Hi,

Please excuse the ignorance, if this seems silly or is not possible, I'm only new and learning with cider..

So my question is...

I am just fermenting a small 12 litre/3 gallon batch of cider, and was wondering, instead of carbonating in bottles, could I carbonate the whole batch in a 15 litre drum (like image attached), with a tap?..so I can just fill up whatever size glass, when I desire a drink..

Thanks in advance 🙂

Attachments

• 15LNaturalBottle_1000x.png
    15LNaturalBottle_1000x.png
    431.7 KB · Views: 2
from a safety point of view, if you don't carbonate too heavily sure.
from a mess point of view, you're gonna be cleaning a lot of spray and foam from things with the kind of taps that are normal for those...

No. The Container cannot cannot contain the pressure and would likely burst. Even if it wouldn't burst, you would need to maintain the pressure inside by actively pressing co2 into the empty space, once cider has been poured, otherwise it would lose it's bubbles quickly.

Last edited:
Honestly I would go with a ball lock keg, and a CO2 tank and regulator to maintain perfect serving pressure. I don't think that jug will hold more than about 1psi safely and my magic brewing crystal ball is showing me great messes in store for you. Otherwise, just bottle. There are a lot of different bottle options. I don't do cider, just beer, but I have 12oz, 16oz, 22oz, and 32oz bottles, and I have bottles that take crown caps, flip top stoppers, and some that can use either one. You could even use champagne bottles, corks, and cages. You might also have a look at the pressurizable one gallon beer growlers. There are even some double wall insulated ones. Takes several days to get them good and cold, but once you got it, you can go mobile and have cold fermented bevs at perfect serving pressure all day long. Not cheap, though.

Cheapest up front cost would be bottling in crown cap 22 oz bottles and priming with the usual priming sugar. Most convenient and economical for home drinking, in the long run, is likely kegging in corny kegs.

OK, thanks for the info everyone..

@GrowleyMonster
I am actually happy to bottle, I was just thinking of an easier option, for I am on a small island, and they have no brew stores here..
I can use recycled bottles, but can't just buy a heap of 750ml PETs from a shop (which I'd prefer), as they need to be posted here, via express (2 weeks delivery - due to the box size, not weight, will cost up to $100), or normal Post (which comes via ship - but since covid, ships have been coming every 3-6 months)..
All good though, I'll sort something out..

Cheers đź‘Ť

Last edited:
OK, thanks for the info everyone..

@GrowleyMonster
I am actually happy to bottle, I was just thinking of an easier option, for I am on a small island, and they have no brew stores here..
I can use recycled bottles, but can't just buy a heap of 750ml PETs from a shop (which I'd prefer), as they need to be posted here, via express (2 weeks delivery - due to the box size, not weight, will cost up to $100), or normal Post (which comes via ship - but since covid, ships have been coming every 3-6 months)..
All good though, I'll sort something out..

Cheers đź‘Ť

What island?

Latest posts

Back