Carbonating Belgian in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlsonderek

Reaction score
I'm considering designing a recipe for a Belgian dark strong. I recently completed my kegging setup and I've had a few beers on tap already, but I know Belgians can often really benefit from a bottle conditioned, natural carbonation. I have experienced that bottle conditioned Belgians really give that extra flavor and aroma from the yeast. I'm wondering--can you keg the beer, add priming sugar and let it naturally carbonate and condition, then put it on tap? If so, what is the best approach for setting the serving PSI? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes. You can condition in the keg. Google keg priming. Most say you're supposed to use less sugar because there's less head space, but some just use the same amount as if bottling. I used about 2/3 the sugar and it worked fine. Leave it at room temp for a full three weeks before chilling. Then make sure to purge the head pressure before connecting the gas, and set it to your serving/maintenance pressure for your desired carb level (use a chart for this). Once it's chilled, it'll be ready to serve, but there will be more yeast gunk at the bottom to get out before you get clean pours. I did this for my chocolate stout and I think it helped give it a little more character.

That is great news and makes perfect sense. That's about what I expected the answer to be but I'm glad I checked. On to the recipe now! Thank you for the response!

I'm considering designing a recipe for a Belgian dark strong. I recently completed my kegging setup and I've had a few beers on tap already, but I know Belgians can often really benefit from a bottle conditioned, natural carbonation. I have experienced that bottle conditioned Belgians really give that extra flavor and aroma from the yeast. I'm wondering--can you keg the beer, add priming sugar and let it naturally carbonate and condition, then put it on tap? If so, what is the best approach for setting the serving PSI? Thanks!

I keg condition the majority of my beers. You don't née as much priming sugar/malt as you'd use when bottling. I generally use about. .75 oz per gallon. I boil in 2 cups of water for 4-5 minutes the chill in an ice bath. Pour into your keg and purge the keg w/ CO2. Rack your beer to the keg, seal w/ CO2, leave it at room temp for 10-14 days. Cold crash & serve.

OP keep us updated on what you did and how it went. I was just thinking of this the other day as I want to start brewing more saisons and I do enjoy what bottle conditioning offers but leggings is my packaging of choice.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

OP keep us updated on what you did and how it went. I was just thinking of this the other day as I want to start brewing more saisons and I do enjoy what bottle conditioning offers but leggings is my packaging of choice.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Absolutely. It will be quite a while as I have a cider and a wet hop I'm going to do first before brewing the Belgian. I'm excited for it and will update! Thanks all.

Back