Carbonating a keg with priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZuzBrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know there are multiple posts on HBT on this subject. I know what I do goes against conventional wisdom. I brew 6 gallon batches. I have a small keezer (3.5 CF) that holds three 3 gallon kegs. I prime the batch as if I'm going to bottle the whole thing. I fill a 3 gallon keg (purge 4 times at 30 psi with CO2) and then bottle the rest. The kegs sit at least 2 weeks at room temperature, sometimes longer. I have never had a keg that is over carbonated after the first pour. Everything I've read says you should use less priming sugar when kegging, but I've never had an issue. Just thought I would share.

I do 6g batches and keg condition regularly. I was taught 8+ years ago to use .75 oz of DME/priming sugar per gallon. I leave it at room temperature for 10 days minimum then chill for 24/48 hours before tapping.
I also shortened my pick up tubes by 1/2-3/4” and added a SS mesh filter to screen out trub or now on most kegs I have added the CBDS which works very well.

Back