Carbonating 3 gal in a 5 gal keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wazzu1991

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and I can't find the right answer for this one...

I brew 3 gallon batches because I like the smaller size as I am the only beer drinker in the house and I can brew more often. I have a mini fridge that holds one keg, (5 gal). I have two 5 gallon kegs and don't really want to spend the cash on a couple of 3 gallon ones. I would like to carbonate one with sugar while I am drinking the other. I only have room for one in the fridge. I can purge the air out of the keg but I can't figure out how much priming sugar I need to carbonate 3 gallons in the 5 gallon keg. It seems to me that I would need extra to make up for the head space in the larger keg. I usually use 2 5/8 ounces to bottle condition a 3 gallon batch.

It is actually less in a keg b/c of the physics. I have never added sugar to a short batch in a keg, but on average a 5 gallons batch in a keg only needs 1/3cup of corn sugar. Also, if you are force carbing the additional head space actually carbs the beer faster. Maybe someone else knows your exact answer.

I've also been wondering about this, and most searches I have made turned up answers about fermenting. I have a 15gal Sanke and want to throw fermented beer into it, but I am also unsure of either the force carbing or natural carbing methods.

Back