carbonated(sparkling) non-alcoholic cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul M.

Reaction score
Hello, Im a new member to this forum and the information people have provided has given me much valuable help in my pursuits in making good apple cider. I was wondering if anyone out there could help me figure out just how to make good non-alcoholic carbonated(sparkling) apple cider just like the bottles that you can buy at your local grocery store. how exactly would you trap carbon dioxide into a bottle and how would you do it without all of your cider turning into alcohol in just a few weeks. How is carbonation even made? Ive heard of something called in bottle pastuerization, but some people say pastuerization may taint the flavor of your cider? I love making Hard cider but i would love to try to make something special for the kids near the holidays and anytime! Thankyou

Paul :)

If you're thinking of the ones I'm thinking of (the champaign bottles), that's pure apple juice carbonated and bottled. You can duplicate it with a keg setup.
Alternatively, if you want to bottle it, get apple cider w/ no preservatives (preservatives will kill the yeast). Dissolve a small amount of dry brewers yeast in warm water - about 1/4 tps for 2 liters of cider. Fill a two liter soda bottle with the apple cider and add yeast slurry. Condition at room temperature for about 5 days. Chill it and test the carbonation. If it's too flat, adjust your yeast volume for the next batch. Once you perfect it in the soda bottles, then move on the the champaign bottles. With this method, you will get some yeast sediment and a negligible amount of alcohol. Not enough to even notice and definitely not enough to get drunk on.
I'm adapting this recipe from a soda extract recipe, so I'm guestimating the amount of yeast to use. It may take more or less. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Thanks! this will help a lot! I will keep you posted on how it turns out!

Paul

Well not sure it went for Paul but just tried it and should know in a week or 2 ... A wish from my youngest daughter... :)

Ericb,
I know in school my boys did a science fair project and created CO2 by setting up a CO2 generator (a 2L bottle which held yeast, sugar, water) and connected that bottle with an airtight seal and tubing to another 2L bottle which contained the cold liquid they wanted to carbonate. The delivery tubing was inserted into the bottom of the accepting container and as the yeast-sugar-water created CO2 you could see it as it carbonated the liquid in the other 2L. Everything was setup as a sealed system and the boys were able to quickly disconnect and seal their carbed liquid when necessary. I remember they kept it in a cooler on ice. It generated enough fizz to overflow a glass of homemade cream soda, and they took first place!

For your home use, you may want to look at a FizzGiz or if it will be used often perhaps a CO2 tank. Force carbonation. Anytime you use yeast in the juice you will create alcohol, plus that juice will not be as sweet like your kids will desire. But do let us know what your daughter thinks.

Thanks Saramc ... it makes sense (direct yeast will create alcohol ..). Will see how it goes. Thanks for all your comments !

Well, some news everybody: it worked pretty well and my daughter loved it.
Interestingly with only 1-2 weeks, it is sparkling enough and with little alcohol
Now after 2 weeks, there is a bit too much pressure and one of the bottle content finished mostly on the ceiling (lol) .. so had to be careful with opening the 3rd and last bottle
Overall,happy and will make more anytime she wants
Rem : will probably buy something to measure the alcohol content but i would judge less than 2% ...

"will probably buy something to measure the alcohol content but i would judge less than 2% ..."
what was used before the hydrometer?
I read the depth a raw egg will float.
I'm not cheap but certainly they didn't use hydrometers in say... 900 BC
anyone know how far the egg should dip before you sip?

Back