Carbonated or blk water...?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

leeford337

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Will it change the taste? What about that dark mineral water in stores, called blk? Thanks!

Reaction score
Never tasted blk so I have no idea... but...

I know that using carbonated water will probably stress your yeast out if it even is able to take off, and image that being a bad idea. Alcohol and carbon dioxide create a hostile environment for yeast...

Sources: http://www.whitelabs.com/faq/beer-professional under How many generations should I use my yeast?

fuelish

Reaction score
I'd imagine that carbed water would lose any and all carbonation in the ferment, if it would even ferment....no idea what blk water is....I'm a cretin, I just use my filtered tap H2O

OP
L

leeford337

Reaction score
Wasn't trying to gain anything, was just sitting on the pot and thought about out.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
Blk water contains humic & fulvic acids, while I've read that there are people who ingest these compounds for some alleged health benefit(s), much like they do with colloidal silver. I don't think I'd be drinking something that I use as fertilizer/soil amendment. Works great with plants in heavy clay soil though.

As for the carbonation, you'd be putting your yeast at a disadvantage from the start with all the dissolved CO2. The yeast need oxygen to start with & will produce their own CO2 as the fermentation continues. You'd need to degas the water before mixing your must, then reoxygenate; this serves no purpose, other than using it as a source for the humic/fulvic acids; which you can add by themselves if you're really bent on using them.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

OP
L

leeford337

Reaction score
The blk water isn't carbonated, I should have split my question better. I wasn't bent on using them at all, I was just curious if anyone has tried it and got some outlandish or cool result! Haha