Carbonated in primary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhochy

Reaction score
So I'm working on my first batch of hard cider (only second batch of home brew ever). I've got a small batch kit, so Im only making a gallon. I noticed that there wasn't any activity going in the fermentor after 5 days, which was confusing to me because after the first day I had to put on my blow off tube because of such vigorous yeast action... So I decided to take a hydrometer reading. While taking a sample for my hydrometer I noticed that the cider was already very heavily carbonated. After one pump from my turkey baster it foamed over my testing tube... my OG was 1.054, on morning of day 6 (today) it reads 1.046...
I'm just confused as to why my cider is already so heavily carbonated... anybody have any ideas why it might be like this?

(BTW it tastes delicious... if it were a bit more alcoholic I'd drink it as is.)

What does your recipe look like? I suggest you take a sample for the hydrometer, and let it sit for an hour or so, as the carbonation on the hydrometer will give a false reading. Based on your post, your cider is probably done fermenting.

For my recipe I got a gallon of martinellis unfiltered apple juice. I added a cup and a half of brown sugar to raise my OG a bit, and I used a half of a packet of Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale. Because I am only making a gallon batch and I used half of a packet for a 5 gallon batch, I was worried that I may have "over-pitched" but after a bit of research I was assured that over-pitching isn't a big deal.

I'll take another reading and let the carbonation settle and see what the hydrometer says... It'd be awesome if it was done already!

cider is different from beer. it ferments more slowly. there are a variety of methods that speed up fermentation but they come at a cost. actively fermenting cider has a lot of co2 dissolved within, so it seems almost petillant when you are sampling.

what you are experiencing is normal and the answer is to do nothing.

You can also whisk it, or pour it back and forth between containers, to remove carbonation. The sample, that is. Don't whisk your fermenter.

After letting the carbonation in my sample settle for about an hour, the hydrometer read the same 1.046. I think I'm gunna let it sit till december and take another reading. hopefully I'll be able to bottle and condition before christmas!

After letting the carbonation in my sample settle for about an hour, the hydrometer read the same 1.046. I think I'm gunna let it sit till december and take another reading. hopefully I'll be able to bottle and condition before christmas!

How long has it been in the fermenter? I've had low gravity ciders (like yours) finish fermenting in 5-7 days before.

Something isn't right. I'd grab a sanitized spoon or something long handled, and stir it up to degas. The c02 is probably inhibiting the yeast. If you have any yeast nutrient handy, dissolve that in a little water and add a teaspoon of that. The simple sugars in cider should ferment quickly and completely.

Carbon Dioxide dissolves in water and water solutions of other materials. It is a major product of the fermentation, alcohol being the other. Look up its solubility in a Chem Index, like The Merck Index. My reason for nosing-in: Generally, when I rack from primary, there is SO MUCH dissolved CO2 that I must use pressure to push it out. One can see the CO2 actually coming out of the beer/cider and destroying the flow thru the siphon because the liquid is now liquid AND gas. Be ready for it!!!

How long has it been in the fermenter? I've had low gravity ciders (like yours) finish fermenting in 5-7 days before.

Something isn't right. I'd grab a sanitized spoon or something long handled, and stir it up to degas. The c02 is probably inhibiting the yeast. If you have any yeast nutrient handy, dissolve that in a little water and add a teaspoon of that. The simple sugars in cider should ferment quickly and completely.
maybe the original cider was just low in nutrients? my cider this year slowly but steadily dropped by just 1-3 gravity points per day. i wonder what the OPs source of cider was.

Thanks all for your advice.
I used Martinellis unfiltered apple juice. I don't have any nutrient, but will order some if the consensus says that I should. I don't have a home brew shop near by so i wouldn't be able to get it for a few days. Any recommendations on what to get?

Back