Carbing/refrigeration question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all.. I know this is a very general question as all brews are different. But generally speaking, the carbing process takes about 4 weeks, is there any issues with leaving the brew unrefridgerated longer than that.... Say 3 months. We are not in a position to drink our brew right now so most of it is still sitting in a bedroom... Will it go bad if not refridergrated, what sort of time frame are we looking at?

I always leave mine out, put 3 or 4 at a time in the fridge to get cold. You could probably leave them out for several months, maybe up to 9 ......

It will not go bad. You're only talking change in flavor, not safety.

Hoppy beers will lose their hoppiness, "fresh" beers like hefes will lose their freshness, and big beers will mellow (and can get really really good!) Some flaws like oxidation or diacetyl will become more apparent as other flavors fade.

You can leave it for years. No issue. I believe clay pots with beer from like Egypt or something have been recovered and the beer inside was still safe to drink. In fact, it likely keeps getting better, although I'm sure after two months you are seeing decreasing gains.

freisste said:
You can leave it for years. No issue. I believe clay pots with beer from like Egypt or something have been recovered and the beer inside was still safe to drink. In fact, it likely keeps getting better, although I'm sure after two months you are seeing decreasing gains.

But +1 on hops fading and flavors changing, as was mentioned before I could post. There are flavors that get more pronounced.

Safety, though, is unchanged.

It would still be good if an average gravity ale. just no hop flavor or aroma left. At the very least. And those Egyptian beer jugs were long since evaporated,leaving only resins behind that could be anylized.

unionrdr said:
It would still be good if an average gravity ale. just no hop flavor or aroma left. At the very least. And those Egyptiam beer jugs were long since evaporated,leving only resins behind that could be anylized.

Maybe that was an exaggeration, but there are decade old beers consumed on a (somewhat) regular basis.

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it. This beer will be consumed in about a month, so it should be really good :)

Back