Carbing kegs with priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I have a keg, but no C02 gear.

If I rack my beer into the keg, and add the same amount of priming sugar I would normally add for bottling, how much beer will I be able to serve before it goes flat?

Could I then open the keg back up and dump more priming sugar in?

Just wondering.

I see three bad ideas in that.

1. You use less sugar to prime a keg. Use one of the carbonation calc sites and use the keg section.
2. You should use CO2 to push the brew out of the keg. Get one of the pocket chargers and plenty of cartridges to feed it.
3. Opening the keg to add more sugar is a monumentally BAD idea.

Since you have a keg to use, I would start getting the hardware to push with CO2. You'll also want to chill the keg before you start serving from it. What do you have for that? Using sugar to carbonate also means you'll need to give it time to get the CO2 fully into solution (at serving temp). You'll also need to discard at least part (if not all) of the first pint you pull from it (yeast sediment).

Another problem...I ran out of co2 once and I tried to carb a beer. It didn't have enough pressure to make a good seal. all of the co2 leaked out.

Back