Carbing cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SegmentedMonkey

Reaction score
I'm looking to carb my current cider batch in bottle. I want it to be full on carbed, not just sparkling. I'd like it to have a nice head, like a dark beer. The last cider I carbed in bottle turned out lightly sparkling. It was a 3 gallon batch, and I used 3oz of dextrose.

I'm using Cooper's Ale Yeast in this batch, and I've started with an OG of 1.055, using just raw apple cider and AJ concentrate.

Any tips?:mug:

You won't get a lasting head on cider, but you should be able to get plenty of carbonation. just prime at a higher rate, you should be good. maybe try 5 oz this time?

you're not going to get "a nice head, like a dark beer" with cider, it just does not have the necessary protein chains contained within the juice for that to happen. You most certainly make it more carbonated though, perhaps 1.5oz corn sugar per gallon instead of the 1oz you used last time?

That was my assumption as well, more sugar.

The sweet cider that I started with seems to foam up quite a lot when shaken. I'm guessing a lot of the protein must break down or settle out with the sediment, during fermentation.

Also, I know dextrose is one of the "cleaner" ways of carbing, but is there anything else that carbs as quick that might add some more character to the mix? I was thinking perhaps some raw cane sugar, or.. suggestions?

The cider will bubble for sure, but the bubbles won't remain because of the lack of proteins; head is produced because of the larger protein molecules sticking together and trapping the gas released. Apples don't have protein in them, so it just won't happen. As for priming, I've heard of priming with more juice, but I don't know about adding character. What kind of character are you looking for?

You could try priming with applejuice concentrate

or Raw cane sugar - this will add a subtle molasses/rum hint to the end result.

+1 on using AJ concentrate. I do this for my apfelwine. I use 1 can minus 1/4 cup and it works perfectly.

Hey SegmentedMonkey, nice to see another Maritimer on the boards!

I'll be using a can of apple juice concentrate to carb my cider next month when it comes time to bottle. I used Graves AJ (made from Nova Scotian Apples) for my cider, although next time I think I'll buy some fresh pressed cider from Stirling Farms in the Annapolis Valley and compare it to their own seasonal hard cider.

If you're looking for something perhaps a bit more similar to beer you might want to look at Brandon O's thread on his own version of hard cider with malt extract and specialty grains. I believe the brew is soon to be deemed "Graff".

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/best-cider-ever-113431/

sugar added in the amounts required for carbing probably won't add much character, unless you use maybe moasses (don't).

Seamus, I used cider from Noggins farm market for this batch. My cyser mead that I made last year I made with fresh cider from Hennigars in Greenwich (my favorite so far).

Graves AJ is produced just across the road from my house in Coldbrook, I believe.

Back