Carbing at room Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rake_Rocko

Reaction score
Hi all! Thanks in advance for replies and also thanks to everyone who has posted so much great information.
I am just now getting in to kegging and have read a bunch on it already. Here's my (sort of) dilemma. I have accumilated a couple kegs, a Co2 tank, a regulator, and all the other little in-betweens that you need (lines, new o-rings, disconnects etc.). I do not have a fridge that I can put kegs in to right now and it will probably be a little while before I get one dedicated to beer/kegs.

Here's my question. Is it viable to not only carb at room temp (i know this is possible), but also to bottle from the keg at room temp? Will the lack of cold temp bring on major foaming, or will I be ok as long as I keep the pressure on the bottle throughout the filling process? As of right now, I would be using the "no stinking beer gun" method.

I also understand that to get the beer at proper carb levels, I have to hit it with some decently high PSI since the temperature of the liquid will be between 65 and 68 degrees. Probably somewhere in the range of 28-30 PSI is what I would imagine using the carb tables that are out there.

Last thing. If your response is "get a fridge" or "use priming sugar" or some other smart remark... dont waste my time. Thank you again in advance!

No, not really. The reason is like you said- you'd be about 30 psi to carb the beer. Well, warm beer foams like heck anyway, and then trying to bottle it would be an absolute nightmare, if not totally impossible. At that psi, it would foam and then lose the carbonation going into the bottle.

Thanks for the response Yooper! So here's my thoughts on this after reading a lot of different info. And correct me if Im wrong because this is basically my thoughts and all theoretical at the moment. Since I have to carb at such a high PSI, after the period of 2 weeks or whatever it may be, I would drop the pressure to a low PSI, say 5 PSI to bottle. So, the idea is not to let the bottles fill as fast as possible, but more so to slow the filling process to avoid filling. Also, with biermuncher's method, it involves putting a stopper on top of the bottle to let pressure build up in the bottle to further avoid foaming. So is that correct logic?
My real question is, is bottling this way at room temp a viable option? Maybe I should post in Biermuncher's sticky? Thanks again for the response though!

Thanks for the response Yooper! So here's my thoughts on this after reading a lot of different info. And correct me if Im wrong because this is basically my thoughts and all theoretical at the moment. Since I have to carb at such a high PSI, after the period of 2 weeks or whatever it may be, I would drop the pressure to a low PSI, say 5 PSI to bottle. So, the idea is not to let the bottles fill as fast as possible, but more so to slow the filling process to avoid filling. Also, with biermuncher's method, it involves putting a stopper on top of the bottle to let pressure build up in the bottle to further avoid foaming. So is that correct logic?
My real question is, is bottling this way at room temp a viable option? Maybe I should post in Biermuncher's sticky? Thanks again for the response though!

The problem is that reducing the pressure will not decrease the foaming, so it just won't work at a warm temperature and maintain the carbonation level in the bottle I'm afraid. The stopper ontop of the bottle is a "poor man's counterpressure filler" and that works if the bottles and beer are as cold as possible, but warm beer is generally a disaster if you're trying to bottle it.

Is Chilling your keg not an option?

I'll chill my keg in an icechest for carbing as I dont yet have a keezer. Carefully lay the keg on its side, set a 20lb bag of ice on top, let it chill for several hrs. I have a coleman like this https://goo.gl/images/4Xyrtx
Works to prechill before use too. May be a good option to chill before bottling until you can get a better solution.

Yes that’s a good option s-met. I just talked to my brother last night and he said I can chill the keg/s in his fridge in his garage so I can go that route. Then that way I can carb properly at lower temps. Thanks for the responses though I appreciate it!

I don't open the bag, just set the bag flat on the keg.cool water melts down and stays cold, but ice stays longer. I've thought about making iceblock molds for the keg, but only the thought.

Back