Carbing after gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

cimirie

Reaction score
Good evening folks!

Quick question for you....

I've got a batch of cranberry/apple cider that was in primary for three weeks and secondary for 2 weeks. 1 week ago, I added gelatin to clear it (which it cleared crystal, BTW). I am ready to bottle tomorrow morning and at the last minute I'm wondering if the gelatin did too good a job. I've never used gelatin before so I'm in uncharted territory. Could the yeast have totally dropped out of the solution making bottling for a sparkling cider not a possibility?

My local HB store isn't open tomorrow and so I've got no way to re-yeast this weekend. Should I wait until I can get my hands on new yeast, or is my worrying for nothing?

Anybody have any experience with this scenario?

SumnerH

Reaction score
Does the same hold true for beer?
Yeah.

If you secondary for many months (like 6 months for a big barleywine or something) or crash-cool for a few months then you might need to re-yeast, but the main reason to do it is to be like Sierra--intentionally filter out everything, including the yeast, then re-yeast with enough to carb but leaving really minimal sediment.

For almost anything in the normal-ish spectrum of home brew, re-yeasting isn't needed. Now, a big Belgian strong ale or similar might need a couple extra weeks to carb. But really _needing_ to re-yeast is fairly uncommon.