Carbing a small mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of a small, 7.5% mead that I want to bottle carb. It's been conditioning in secondary since mid-May.

I figure I need to pitch new yeast for carbing it and have picked up another packet of 71B.

Should I pitch the whole packet just to carb 3oz of corn sugar?

Did you do this already? Why not use 1/3 cup of honey instead of the corn syrup?

Couldn't you use use a few granules in each bottle? I thought I've heard of the beer folks doing that before.

I would just pitch a pack of Nottingham and prime with honey. I usually aim for 2.2-2.5 volumes of CO2 for my low ABV sparkling meads, and it works out for me.

I haven't done it yet. I might get to it today.

I'm not sure why Nottingham would be better than 71B. I already have the 71B.

I could prime with honey. I think I have enough in the kitchen to do it. I don't have honey on my priming calculator. What is it closer to: corn sugar, cane sugar, or DME?

I haven't done it yet. I might get to it today.

I'm not sure why Nottingham would be better than 71B. I already have the 71B.

I could prime with honey. I think I have enough in the kitchen to do it. I don't have honey on my priming calculator. What is it closer to: corn sugar, cane sugar, or DME?

Sorry. I didn't read the part about the 71B. I make beer more often, so Nottingham is my default cheap yeast that I stock up on. But 71B would work fine.

I'm finally getting to this thing today.

The recipe was:
10.36 lb white peaches (weight includes skin & pit)
5lb honey
1lb raisins
1lb prunes
12.3 oz candied ginger
2 lemons, forked
Water to make 5.75 gallons.

OG = 1.058
FG = 1.002
ABV = 7.5%

I made it last April to be something light and refreshing after working outside, instead of doing a lawnmower beer.

The lemon and ginger are very forward. The peach and plumb are in the background.

I'm only going to carb it at 2 volumes, just to make sure I don't get bottle bombs. Despite racking, using sparkloid, and lagering, I still have quite a bit of sludge blanket in the secondary. I'm going to try to filter it with a paint strainer.

I will use honey to carb it. I do have enough.

Back