Carbing a keg at room temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WileECoyote

Reaction score
Hello, I searched and could not find this, can I set a keg that is conditioning next to my kegerator and hook it up to the gas at 12psi and let it sit for 2 to 3 weeks or longer while its conditioning at 70 deg and have it fully carb'd when I move it into the kegerator ?

any insight would be great.

Cheers :mug:

It won't be fully carbed with 12PSI @ 70 degrees. Check out a co2 volume chart, it will tell you how much extra PSI you need. Or consider naturally carbonating kegs at room temperature.

If you look at a carbonation chart, it's about 30 psi at room temperature to get a good carb level. I do it all the time, so I know it's easy! Just make sure you purge it before sticking it in your kegerator (assuming the kegerator is +/- 12 psi) and chilling and setting it at the same pressure as the other kegs.

Ok Thanks for the quick answers, I was trying to figure out if I could just use a jumper to carb another keg while conditioning, or if I needed to get a 2 regulator setup, guess i need the 2 regulator setup.

Thanks and Cheers :mug:

I just kegged a batch for the first time tonight and that chart will definitely come in handy. Thanks.

Ok Thanks for the quick answers, I was trying to figure out if I could just use a jumper to carb another keg while conditioning, or if I needed to get a 2 regulator setup, guess i need the 2 regulator setup.

Thanks and Cheers :mug:

If you're going to be using the same pressure for both kegs (or even for more than 2), you just need a splitter, tee, or manifold in the gas line. No need for multiple regulators unless you need multiple pressures.

Thank You day_trippr, thats going to be handy chart, Looks like I'm over carbing my kegs a bit, going right now to shut off valves, purge pressure, reduce regulator setting, open valves.

Cheers :mug:

Since that chart only goes up to 65°, this calculator is pretty handy for carbing at the warmer temps like you mentioned-
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html

Back