Carbinating Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckbeagle

Reaction score
I am easing into brewing and am already tired of bottling after my 3rd batch and want to start kegging. Is it possible to use a cornelius keg and priming sugar and then dispense with a hand held CO2 Charger?

Thanks in advance,

Yes it is possible. Get a hand held with a gauge to make sure you are keeping it at the correct pressure. Really I would recommend waiting until you can buy the Co2 tank though as your life will be MUCH better.

Yes, its entirely doable to prime with sugar, then dispense with a small charger. the charger will maintain pressure inside.
I can get about 12-15 Solo type cups off the larger size bulbs (16grams?) I haven't used the 12g size yet.
So you'll spend a little on the bulbs to dispense one whole keg, but buying them online is about half what my LHBS charges...so you might consider buying in bulk.

I only use my charger for travel use.

Is it true that you prime with a bit less sugar than normal if you are using kegs as opposed to bottles? I feel like I heard this somewhere and it might be good advice for this brewer.

Back