Carb keg warm, then chill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a keg of Berlinner in (room temp) storage, and want to keg it for a party later this month.

Option 1: throw it on gas here in storage, and let it sit for a few weeks. Then chill it for the party.

Option 2: Wait a few weeks, chill the keg on some ice, and force carb. Most likely I'd put the chilled keg in the trunk of the car under pressure and go for a couple hour drive.

I have a full 10# CO2 tank, so the amount of gas isn't a problem. Which would e better for the beer? Easiest would be to hook up the gas and walk away.

Thanks
B

If you don't want to naturally carb, I would set it on gas according to the gas v. Temp chart and let it sit....foam only happens once! :mug:

why not naturally carbonate it? Room temp set and forget works as well, and it actually doesn't use any more gas than if you were to chill it.

I wouldn't natural carb it if you plan on traveling with the keg. Unless, you like the taste of bitter, yeastie beer. Course you could force transfer to another keg, but if you have the extra CO2 tank why bother?

No matter which way he carbs it, its going to result in yeast in suspension after a couple hour car drive.

phoenixs4r said:
No matter which way he carbs it, its going to result in yeast in suspension after a couple hour car drive.

True. When faced with this problem I have chilled and fined the beer and racked to another keg after making sure I am not pulling off sediment. I then force carb.

heferly said:
If you don't want to naturally carb, I would set it on gas according to the gas v. Temp chart and let it sit....foam only happens once! :mug:

Where is the gas v. Temp chart?

phoenixs4r said:

You can minimize this by leaving the beer in primary for at least 3 weeks and leaving some beer behind when racking. Nobody wants to leave beer behind but if you do the beer has very little yeast and I've had no problems with clarity when traveling. Obviously, naturally carbing it would defeat the purpose.

By the way, I dont actually dump what's left over. I transfer it to a plastic liter water bottle, force carb it with a home made carbonator cap and drink it the day I rack it.

The beer has been in a keg for 8 months, sitting in my climate-controlled storage locker. I can hook up the keg and let it sit for a while. Problem is my gauge only goes up to 30 psi, and to get 3.45 vol's I'd need 47.8 (tastybrew.com) I'll just wing it.

And yeah, I know it's a 3.2% beer sitting at 75 for a year.

B

bad coffee said:
The beer has been in a keg for 8 months, sitting in my climate-controlled storage locker. I can hook up the keg and let it sit for a while. Problem is my gauge only goes up to 30 psi, and to get 3.45 vol's I'd need 47.8 (tastybrew.com) I'll just wing it.

And yeah, I know it's a 3.2% beer sitting at 75 for a year.

B

Ew.

Latest posts

Back