Caraway seeds in my rye ale! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of brewing a one gallon rye ale. Days off are great!

I want to add caraway seeds while fermenting but I have no idea if there is a special process I need to follow to dump them in the jug while fermenting. I'm sure it's the same for all additions so any tips will help!

Tha me!

I was thinking cracking them a little would give more flavor. But be careful,the flavor can be strong. Like this German caraway liquor I bought once. Could hardly gag it down.:drunk:

I suggest adding some caraway seeds(a tablespoon? two?) to a cup of vodka and putting it in a mason jar for a few weeks -shaking daily. When you bottle or keg strain your caraway seeds from your vodka and proceed to add a little bit of flavored vodka to your batch at a time until you get your desired flavor.

additionally, if you add your seeds while fermenting all the aroma from them will get blown right out the airlock. you could also dry hop with them after fermentation is complete, but I wouldn't use very much.

If you dry hop, could you use a little sachet bag made out of cheesecloth? Or, better, a tea strainer?

Next time throw them in the mash/steep

Not sure how much flavor grains/seeds/nuts give "dry-grained" but im sure cracking them will help.

Back