carapils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onelostrn

Reaction score
I am brewing my second beer a wheet ale this weekend and the recipe calls for carapils. My lhbs doesn't carry carapils and was looking for a good substitute. This is an extract recipe with steeped grains. Thanks

It's also known as "carafoam" and "dextrine." Carapils basically adds body and head retention without the added color and flavor from other caramel/crystal malts.

I think Caramel/Crystal (10L) would be an okay substitute, though it will slightly sweeten and darken the beer.

Since it isn't mentioned, to get any benefit from the carapils, it needs to be mashed...

Carapils does not need to be mashed, you may steep it to contribute body and head retention, but you will not get any fermentable sugar out of it unless you mash it.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs_BWB/Briess_Newsletter_2009summer.pdf

Q: How do I use it?
A: Because Carapils® Malt has no enzymes and full glassiness, it can either be mashed or steeped in hot water. If steeping, steep at 150º-170º F and make sure to “dunk” or somehow agitate the grain and water to improve the extraction. The water may get a little cloudy,however this will disappear once the wort is boiled. Dark roasted malts, caramel or crystal malts and Carapils® Malt (which is neither) can be safely steeped. Beware of steeping malts with a starchy (mealy) center.

Back