Carapils vs. Maltodextrin in extract brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StudentBrewer

Reaction score
Does steeping carapils with the specialty grains work well in extract brews to increase body, or is it easier to add 4-8oz or so of maltodextrin in the boil? I mainly brew APA, IPAs, and brown/amber ales.

Thanks

Just steeping carapils will make your ale cloudly from unconverted starch. If you did a mini-mash it would work. Adding maltodextrin would work better.

david_42 said:
Just steeping carapils will make your ale cloudly from unconverted starch. If you did a mini-mash it would work. Adding maltodextrin would work better.

What is the defining difference between steeping and a mini- or partial-mash? Is it temperature, time? A lot of the articles I read call mini- or partial-mashes "glorified grain steeps."

brackbrew said:
What is the defining difference between steeping and a mini- or partial-mash? Is it temperature, time? A lot of the articles I read call mini- or partial-mashes "glorified grain steeps."
A mini-mash includes some base malts, and a mini-mash would be done for at least 90 minutes. When steeping grains, you're concerned only with extracting flavor and color from the grains. When doing a mini-mash you're getting the flavor and color, but also hoping to convert and extract the sugars from the grains as well. If done properly, a mini-mash should be much more than "glorified steeping". On the other hand, if you simply throw your steeped grains in a pot without any base malt and little concern for the steeping temp, then no matter how long you steep it, it's still just steeping.

Edit: Here's what Palmer has to say on that subject:

How-to-Brew said:
Steeping differs from mashing in that there is no enzyme activity taking place to convert grain or adjunct starches to sugars. Steeping specialty grains is entirely a leaching and dissolution process of sugars into the wort. If grain with enzyme diastatic potential is steeped, that is mashing.

So I stand partially corrected. If you toss some base malt into your grains, then you are technically mashing...tho you'll still get pretty poor efficiency unless you also increase your "mashing" time and decrease the amount of mash water, IMHO.

I understand the mechanics behind the mini-mash or partial mash (in fact, I used the process in my last brew), but are those the only differences? Aside from a larger volume of water and grain, what are the OVERRIDING differences between that and going all-grain? I understand things like different kinds of mashes, diacetyl rests, etc.

brackbrew said:
I understand the mechanics behind the mini-mash or partial mash (in fact, I used the process in my last brew), but are those the only differences? Aside from a larger volume of water and grain, what are the OVERRIDING differences between that and going all-grain? I understand things like different kinds of mashes, diacetyl rests, etc.

Check this out, i think you will find it useful
http://***********/mrwizard/1026.html

nothing really. all grain is just more grain, more water, a full boil (with a way to chill it), and also learning the efficiency you get so you use the right amount of grain since you can't 'top off the gravity' with DME.

Back