Carapils vs Carapils-dextrine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I was at a brew store getting some grains for an IPA coming up and saw they had both of these. One was labeled Carapils -(non dextrine). I was running around the store talking to SWMBO and I meant to grab Caramunich and Carapils but ended up grabbing

1 lb 8 oz Carapils dextrine
1 lb 8 oz Carapils non-dextrine
8 oz Caramel 30

instead. Is there really a non dextrine carapils or do I have to much carapils in this batch? I was aiming for a 15 gallon batch and was going to add 32 lbs of 2 row to get my grain bill.
Should I use half of this specialty grain and add some Caramunich to round it out?

I'll end up with grain bill like

32 lbs 2-Row
12 oz Carapils dextrine
12 oz Carapils non-dextrine
20 oz caramunich
4 oz Caramel 30

As far as I know, carapils is just a brand name for dextrine malt.

That is what I thought but they had dext and non dext Carapilis's labeled container. My research here tells me different. I think I have too much dextrine and need to dilute this specialty grain bill.

That is what I thought but they had dext and non dext Carapilis's labeled container. My research here tells me different. I think I have too much dextrine and need to dilute this specialty grain bill.

You quantity is only 4%. That's not excessive. BTW I agree with ong. CaraPils is a trademarked name for dextrin malt. I have never seen or heard of "non-dextrin" CaraPils.

Back