Carapils vs. carahell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMarquis

Reaction score
I have a blonde ale extract recipe that calls for 1 lb carapils for steeping grains and I happen to have 1 lb of carahell on hand. Will substituting make a big difference in the beer?

I don't think they're too terribly similar, but the carahell would still be a fine specialty grain in a blonde ale.

Carapils is a Dextrin malt and CaraHell is crystal 20 basically.

The beer wont be the same but I am sure it will be damn fine with CaraHell and/or CaraPils

+1 to what everyone said.

Based on my understanding (i could be wrong) carapils will provide more for a bump in head retention then anything else. Carahell will also give you help in the head retention department, but to a lesser degree, but will add some of those malty/toffee notes that most crystal malts provide.

+1 to what everyone said.

Based on my understanding (i could be wrong) carapils will provide more for a bump in head retention then anything else. Carahell will also give you help in the head retention department, but to a lesser degree, but will add some of those malty/toffee notes that most crystal malts provide.

Thats what I use cara-pils for, head retention and body.

Carahell comes out lighter than Briess c-10L. It's very similar but I prefer it. It adds a nice residual sweetness. No caramel notes.

Not all carapils malts are the same. All add dextrins but some add more flavor than others. Caramel pils, carafoam and carapils are not exactly the same.

Yeah, i think german carafoam is different, i think it has a drier biscuit thing to it compaired to carapils. Even try noting it when tasting them, the light airy dryness to them.

Back