carapils in extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talljetsfan

Reaction score
I read that using carapils adds body and head retention so I ordered some for a Belgium IPA extract recipe I'm doing.
After searching HBT about the procedure, I've learned that steeping them with Caramel 60L will make the beer hazy and that I should do a mini mash.
My question is how much water do I use and how much carapils do I use? The recipe calls for 1lb 8oz of the caramel and the rest DME. Should I just leave out the carapils?
Thanks

how much DME does the recipe call for? What type of DME is it? gold, amber, and dark DME already have carapils in them. also, 1.5# seems like a lot of caramel, at least for a 5gal batch

I steeped with carpils in all my recipes when I did extract with grain, and I used crystal 60 often, and never had any issues with haze....I think what you read was full of crap....

Think of it this way, why would one crystal produce more "haze" than any other crystal.

I don't know where that info came from, probably someone's opinion but I wouldn't worry about it.

Back