Caramunich instead of Dark Wheat Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erythro73

Reaction score
On saturday, I went to my LHBS to buy ingredients to brew on sunday. I usually hand him an ingredients list, and he fetches them for me. He's known to be a very knowledgeable guy, usually, and he never let me down, as far as subsitution goes.

However, I didn't think of it right away, but on my list, there was about 2.2 lbs of Dark Wheat Malt. He probably never encountered it before, because he asked me "Well, when you say Dark Wheat Malt, do you mean Caramunich or something else?", and all I could muster was "Huh... I don't known". So I guess there's a strong probability he gave me Caramunich instead of Dark Wheat Malt. I just remembered today about this interaction, after I brewed.

Now, my recipe looks like:

Batch size : 2.5 gallons
OG: 1.086

2.87 lbs wheat LME
2.20 lbs Caramunich (instead of Dark Wheat Malt)
1.1 lbs Pilsner (2 row) Ger
1.1 lbs Munich malt
0.33 lbs Special B Malt
0.331 Crystal Malt 40L
0.220 lbs Pale Chocolate

WLP300
1 oz Hallertauer Herzbrucker.

Now, I'm probably a bit lucky it was only a partial mash, but I'm still having 27% of my fermentables coming from Caramunich, which shouldn't be much higher than 5% according to Weyerman's website.

So, is this batch screwed up?

EDIT: CARAWHEAT and not CARAMUNICH,

What homebrew shop employee doesn't know the difference between a base what malt and a crystal barley malt? Even if he didn't know the difference, he should never have pulled a recipe that's 1/3 crystal malts! The beer would be close to undrinkable.

Yeah that's pretty bad advice if that's what he gave you. Don't suppose you got a look at the grain, wheat kernels are noticeably different from barley.

Yeah, I guess I'll call him tomorrow to see if he can remember by what he would substitute Dark Wheat Malt.

And, as it was my first batch in 3 three years and as it was my second mash in life, I guess I could not describe what the grains looked like.

I guess I'll call him tomorrow morning, I just noticed there's a "product number" on the receipt. He probably would be able to tell me.

CaraWheat would be a brand name version of a dark wheat malt so it is what your recipe called for.

It should come out as intended.

EDIT: I guess I am wrong.. I should have taken the time to look at the maltster's website.

It's likely going to finish high and be sweeter. If you take Nilo's data on fermentability, medium crystal malt will be about 60% fermentable as opposed to 80% for 2 row. So normally just a small bump in your FG when using the typical 5-10% or so, but with a large percentage of your mash it could be more significant.

That being said, who knows you may like it. I would discuss it with your LHBS guy though. If he had given you 2.2 lbs of crystal 40 as a sub for pale malt I think folks would be more unforgiving, and this is pretty much the equivalent.

It's likely going to finish high and be sweeter. If you take Nilo's data on fermentability, medium crystal malt will be about 60% fermentable as opposed to 80% for 2 row. So normally just a small bump in your FG when using the typical 5-10% or so, but with a large percentage of your mash it could be more significant.

That being said, who knows you may like it. I would discuss it with your LHBS guy though. If he had given you 2.2 lbs of crystal 40 as a sub for pale malt I think folks would be more unforgiving, and this is pretty much the equivalent.
Well, I'll try to pass it as an "interesting experiment". How does that sounds?

After two weeks in primary at 62 F, I took an hydrometer sampling and got 1.031 (corrected for temperature). The original recipe calls for 1.021 (using dark wheat malt). Beersmith, even with replacing dark wheat malt with carawheat, calls for 1.021.

Sure, I was planning on having something a little higher than 1.021, but 1.031 seems way off the charts. Is it too high considering I have 27% carawheat and 4% caramel malt?

EDIT : I stirred a little bit and very delicately to resuspend some of the yeast and have raised the temperature up to 68F.

I think this is not unexpected. 31% crystal mashed with very little base malt, plus the chocolate malt which will also add to the unfermentable sugars - it unfortunately may just be done.

I think this is not unexpected. 31% crystal mashed with very little base malt, plus the chocolate malt which will also add to the unfermentable sugars - it unfortunately may just be done.

I just put my hydrometer in distillied water, and my reading was 0.998. Meaning I probably have an FG around 1.028-1.029 instead of 1.031.

Still, tasted it and it was very... very sweet (as expected). Tasted like caramel, molasse, chocolate. Not much bitterness. Still enjoyable.

So I guess I'll go ahead and bottle it next week or so.

Latest posts

Back