CaraMunich = Crystal malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
are the various CaraMunich malts equivalent to Crystal malts?

if a recipe calls for say, Crystal 40, and I sub CaraMunich I or II?

Short answer: no

But if it is a style that can handle extra maltiness, ok.

David (and others), does the longer answer include:

1. yes, they are both caramel or crystal malts and share the same qualities of adding body, flavor, sweetness, and color

2. crystal malts are made from 2 row malt and caramunich is made from munich malt

Am I on target with this?

Caramalts are Crystal malts, but they are not equivalent. Hell, not even American and British Crystal malts are exactly the same, even if the package says the same Lovibond rating - the flavors are just different.

So Caramunich and Crystal 40L are not equivalent.

Jim,

1. True. But: the body, flavor, sweetness, and color they each add is not the same. Both malts in question will add body, flavor, sweetness, and color, but each will be different.

2. True to a certain extent. Base grain has an impact, but so does manufacturing. Taste British Crystal malt and American crystal/caramel malt of like Lovibond ratings side by side. Both are made from two-row malt. But they taste completely different.

Frankly, I haven't the foggiest notion how maltsters produce Caravienne and Caramunich. I was always under the impression Vienna and Munich malts were pale malts processed differently during kilning. At the same time, I was under the impression Caramalts of all types are made from green malt. As Munich malt isn't Munich malt until long after it's no longer green malt, I get confused. In other words, I don't know how they get from point A to point B.

Weird.

Bob

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, you HAD to brew a recipe that called for Crystal whatever, but that there was NO crystal whatever available. Would you try using some version of CaraMunich as a replacement?

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, you HAD to brew a recipe that called for Crystal whatever, but that there was NO crystal whatever available. Would you try using some version of CaraMunich as a replacement?

If you were forced to, sure. You might throw some beers out of their specified catigories though. Personaly, I brew for me and not for the judges, so I would do it just to see what would happen. Might be a wonderful change!

I've decided to both toast some Munich and make some crystal malt with it (using the directions in Radical Brewing). I think the malty-ness of the Munich will make add an interesting dimension. Experimentation is a good thing.

Frankly, I haven't the foggiest notion how maltsters produce Caravienne and Caramunich. I was always under the impression Vienna and Munich malts were pale malts processed differently during kilning. At the same time, I was under the impression Caramalts of all types are made from green malt. As Munich malt isn't Munich malt until long after it's no longer green malt, I get confused. In other words, I don't know how they get from point A to point B.
I never really put much thought into it because I always assumed they let the malts fully convert in husk, as they do all crystal malts, then kilned them to the same temps they would vienna or munich. Basically just made the same way as vienna or munich but allowing all the starch to convert to sugar first. Now you have me thinking it might not be that simple, I would be very curious to know how it is actually done.

Back