Caramely Belgian Strong Dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChzyMnky

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to do do a caramely belgiany strong dark. I know the color is going to be out of style, but whatevers.

16lb German Pilsner (LHBS didn't have Belgian Pils)
0.5 Caramunich I
0.5 Special B

Mash with RIMS (no decoction)
122F for ~20min
152F for ~60min

1oz Hallertau @ 90min
1oz Hallertau @ 45min
1oz Styrian Goldings @ 15 min
1lb D-180 Candi Syrup @ 15 min
1lb D-90 Candi Syrup @ 15 min
1lb D-45 Candi Syrup @ 15 min

OG: ~1.105 (~75%eff)
SRM: 29
IBU: 28

FG: ~1.020???

Ferment At 70 with WLP545, ramping up to ~73 near end of fermentation.
Secondary in 5 gal Bourbon Barrel

What do you think? Something I'm way off on?

Thanks!

Sounds great, except I only get 23 IBU with that recipe. I'd mash at 150 and you'd probably hit around 1.020 and maybe a point or two less. I made the Westy12 w/ 1lb of Special B and 2.5 lbs of d-180, mashed at 149 and finished at 1.016 which I thought was just the right amount of sweetness as I didn't want it to be real dry.

I'd probably personally use duval, westmalle, or chimay yeast (in that order) for a dark strong. Are you familiar with how your chosen Ardennes strain differs from them?

Sounds great, except I only get 23 IBU with that recipe. I'd mash at 150 and you'd probably hit around 1.020 and maybe a point or two less. I made the Westy12 w/ 1lb of Special B and 2.5 lbs of d-180, mashed at 149 and finished at 1.016 which I thought was just the right amount of sweetness as I didn't want it to be real dry.

Thanks for the input. I'm also trying to strike a balance between sweet and dry, though I might want it a little sweeter to stand up to the barrel aging.

My IBUs were calculated by Brewers Friend... I'll plug it into beersmith and see what I get.

I'd probably personally use duval, westmalle, or chimay yeast (in that order) for a dark strong. Are you familiar with how your chosen Ardennes strain differs from them?

Seems like those are all a little drier, while the 545 has some more phenolic /spice character?

Seems like those are all a little drier, while the 545 has some more phenolic /spice character?

From my exexperimentation, I wouldn't say they are drier, but more fruity/eastery in a good way. Chimney has is own additional unique character also. Ardennes definitely has a more phenolic spicy character as you said (almost like a mild saison character), and it also floculastes and clears much better.
I haven't gotten to try it in a quad, but liked it in my dry dubbel.

I just had a batch of westy 12 go from 1.086 to 1.001 with 545.. it can do insane attenuation. It was Crystal clear when I bottled it yesterday.

I just had a batch of westy 12 go from 1.086 to 1.001 with 545.. it can do insane attenuation. It was Crystal clear when I bottled it yesterday.

That's ridiculous. What temp did you mash at? I think I'm going to stick with the 545. I think the spiciness will go well with the barrel aging.

From my experience, the Special B is going to completely swamp the Caramunich with equal portions. If you're looking for caramel notes per se, I suggest a 3:1 to 2:1 ratio.

You might also want to take a look at what I was doing here.

That's ridiculous. What temp did you mash at? I think I'm going to stick with the 545. I think the spiciness will go well with the barrel aging.

That was mashing in at 152 and fermenting at ~70-72. So I didn't try for that low... I was hoping it would go to ~1.009-1.011. It is kinda insane how low it went.

Back