Caramelization Results in Burned Rubber Smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
This weekend I brewed this recipe of 80 Shilling Scotch Ale. Instead of Safale I used White Labs 028 Edinburgh Ale yeast. Did a starter, the starter smelled a little like burned rubber. Now I've pitched the yeast and there is a great krausen and strong fermentation but it continues to smell like burned rubber.

I used the Wyeast version of this yeast last year with great success but no such odd ferment smells. On this batch we reduced 2 quarts of wort to about a half quart in an effort to caramelize the wort a bit. I fear the result will be a burned flavor or taste.

Anyone have any experience with either caramelizing wort or this particular yeast strain (or both?)

It doesn't make sense due to the time since pitching but "burnt rubber" is often associated with autolysis...

I just read that burnt rubber is a smell associated with burning, rather than caramelizing, wort.

Wonder if this is something that my yeasties can get rid of ... they seem to be able to remove a lot of other off flavors.

Back