Caramel Flavor in 1st Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
I finally got around to taste testing my lager. It's been lagering for the last 3 weeks and I really was curious about trying it.

My sample tasted a lot like caramel. No doubt about it. Not sweet, but not dry either. I'm more of a malt-head person so this is right up my ally. But I certainly didn't expect so much of the nose and taste to be that pronounced. Here's my grain bill:

8 # pilsner 2-row
2 # munich malt 10L
.5 # dextrine

1 oz Hallertauer at 60 and 30.

Boho Lager yeast.

Temp control was fantastic. Kept it at 50 degrees F for 7 days then I allowed to diacetyl rest at 60-62 for 4 days, and it's been in the fridge at 0 for the last 23 days. Does anybody see a reason why I would be getting so much caramel flavor with this? I did also do a single decoction on it. That's pretty much the only place where I could see this coming from.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share that the brew is turning out well, although not exactly how I had planned.

Green beer, underpitching lager yeast, overcooking decoctions, , maillard reactions, and underattenuated beer could all give you some of that flavor. That might be a little high on the Munich too- if you are trying to add a malty note 1# often does it. More important will be how it tastes when it is done.

I'd be guessing the 'caramel' you're tasting is most likely diacetyl. Diacetyl doesn't always come off as buttered popcorn --- many times it presents as a butterscotch type flavor.

I'd be guessing the 'caramel' you're tasting is most likely diacetyl. Diacetyl doesn't always come off as buttered popcorn --- many times it presents as a butterscotch type flavor.

That's my guess as well; lower amounts of DA smell and taste 'caramelly' to me. It's a weird sort of caramel flavor, though.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I did hit my FG. It finished around 1.010 if I remember correctly. I believe my OG was around 1.046.

If this is in fact DA, is that something that would dissipate with bottling or is it pretty much there to stay? Again, it's not something I terribly mind but I wanted something with a cleaner/dryer finish.

Back