Carafoam/Melanoiden Malt Replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
I am make the Zombie Dust clone, and my LHBS works only through Briess, I was wondering what I could use to replace Carafoam and Melanoiden. I thought wheat my work for head retention, and for Melanoiden I was thinking some crystal?

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks!

Carapils, Carafoam, or any type of equivalent body malt is perhaps the most common malt out there, aside from 2-row pale. I would ask again... or order online.

They don't have carapils?? Carapils IS a Briess grain. I guess some wheat would sub.

I had a recipe that called for Victory and was told to use the melanoiden. Subbed real nice.

Carapils might be called Dextrin Malt at your LHBS. It is a grain, though...Maltodextrin is a powder and gets used in different applicarions.

As far as subs for go, Belgian Caramel Pils or Crystal 10L would do the trick. You could also add 1/4 lb of maltodextrin for every pound of carapils in the recipe.

For Melanoidin, I've never pinned down exactly what it is or does. I've heard it described as "Super Munich." 20L Munich or CaraMunich 1 might work. As others have pointed out, some liken Melanoidin malt to buscuit malt, so Victory or Biscuit could get you there.

If you really want a clone, order online. The recipe as-written is VERY good.

Dark Munich (the 20L) will produce the biscuity-tasting Melanoidin during mashing. Depending on how much Dark Munich is in the recipe, you may want more Melanoidin or not.

I've got a bag of crushed grains sitting next to me for a Munich Dunkel. Since it has, amongst other things, 3lbs of 20L Munich, I didn't add any Melanoidin grain. It also has 0.5lbs Cara-pils which the supplier subbed for the CaraFoam I had specified.:(

The more I read about the recipe I might order everything, I'll talk to my dad, and see what we want to do. Thanks for all the help. I just had alpha king for the first time yesterday and it was amazing, and from what I heard ZD is so much better, and I want to make it as close as possible.

I just ended up ordering everything that I couldn't get at LBHS from midwest, I want to make it right, thanks again everyone!

Back