• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Captain Crush Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharmbrewer

Reaction score
For sale - a Captain Crush three roller grain mill. I have had only positive experiences with this machine - it really has been quite good. I am a meticulous brewer and have taken great care of this machine. I'm asking $150, which includes shipping anywhere in the lower 48.

C9C4C77C-EBB5-42C6-90F0-274D44B0ECF6.jpeg
1C34A7F4-44BA-4CA6-B7BB-816F741366D9.jpeg

The company stated 11-12lbs but I find that to be a bit overstated. I can usually get 10lbs in here without any spilling over and without compacting it at all.

The company stated 11-12lbs but I find that to be a bit overstated. I can usually get 10lbs in here without any spilling over and without compacting it at all.

so a 5 gallon batch hopper.....appreciate the response, but i mill 20-22lbs at a time. but that thing got me wondering because it looked huge!

What do you think of the performance and stability of this mill? The reviews I've seen of it were not very positive. Stuck rollers and not holding gap setting seem to be common complaints. Also, why are you selling it?

Excellent questions. First on performance - I think it is the kind of mill for the patient brewer. Once you get it gapped right and as long as you use a proper drill with enough torque, I got consistent and excellent results every time. I actually do prefer these rollers to gnarled ones as I found upon inspection a very consistent crush every time. Does that mean I didn’t fight with it for a bit? Sure. But I also think that’s kind of at this price point. I never had the means or desire to jump up to a larger mill or one that was internally powered. So is it for anyone? Probably not. But like I said, for the patient brewer willing to work with it - yes. I found it met my needs. Again - fair concerns though. I can see where some of those reviews were spot on, no denying that.

Why am I selling? A buddy and I over the past year have really gone deep into ciders and wine. I’m selling to get some money together for some different equipment outside of the grain world. It’s a longer story, but that’s the short version. Need new gear!!

I have the Captain Crush mill and can attest to pharmbrewer's comments.

I don't have issues with gap settings drifting as I only use one setting that I secured down tightly.

I had issue with stuck rollers but found that if I use compressed air to blow out all the grain dust between the rollers and end plates greatly reduces the stuck roller issues. The problem appears to be the additional friction caused from the grain dust preventing the non-driven rollers from turning.

I wasn't able to succesfully power my mill with my 1/2" milwaukee drill as it would overheat. I ended up getting an All American Ale Works motor, overkill but worth it.

If I had to start over I would get another Captain Crush as the quality of the crush is excellent and the stainless steel rollers still look like new.

Good luck with selling your Captain Crush.

I realize that the Captain Crush mill has sold but I thought that I would share my modification:

Based on another Captain Crush owner who installed spacers on the sides of the bottom housing to direct the incoming grains towards the center of the rollers, I have done the same and the results were excellent. This kept the grain dust from getting between the rollers and end plates, which could be seen by looking through the smoked housing as the grains were being milled. No stalling during my crush and the through put did not seem to diminish. The grains on the discharge occupied the full width of the rollers.

Below is a photo of my modifications, note that the crack was from me dropping the housing years ago, fortunately "goop" glue has held up.
IMG_0309.jpg

Back