Caps jumping while bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazabril

Reaction score
Hi all!

First time poster here.

I searched everywhere for something like this but couldn't find anything.

I'm bottling a porter infused with oak chips, the yeast was Windsor (Lallemand). It stalled on 1.022 FG (expected FG was 1.017) after three weeks in primary. I had to transfer to a secondary since I needed the SS bucket. There was another fermentation in the secondary as I found a krausen ring and FG lowered to 1.012!

I primed with 4.35 oz of corn sugar for 4.75 gal (according to Brewfather -the temperature got a little high postfermentation).

The issue here is while I'm bottling I started to hear some click sounds and turns out the caps on the bottles are ... jumping like releasing pressure (I usually just put the caps on the bottles and cap after filling).

Can beer carbonate immediately while actually bottling? Am I just capping bottle bombs?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

If your FG was stable over 3 days or so, bottle bombs shouldn’t be an issue. Carbonation can’t happen that quickly, but fermented beer already has a small amount of dissolved CO2 in solution and if they are warming some before they are capped, that CO2 can be coming out of solution and creating some pressure.

If your FG was stable over 3 days or so, bottle bombs shouldn’t be an issue. Carbonation can’t happen that quickly, but fermented beer already has a small amount of dissolved CO2 in solution and if they are warming some before they are capped, that CO2 can be coming out of solution and creating some pressure.

This sounds likely to me too

It's a relief to hear that!! Thanks so much!

Back