Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Cappuccino Stout (Coffee, Milk Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michiganhomebrewer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 66
Tasting Notes
Dark Chocolate, Coffee
Just a few notes on this beer. Great coffee aroma and flavor, with a really full, creamy body. It really does taste like a cold cappuccino. This is my favorite beers to have on tap for the fall and winter.

I cold steeped the coffee by adding 4 oz of coarse ground coffee and adding them to two 12 oz mason jar (2 oz in each jar). Then I top them up with water and steeping them for 24 hours. Then I filter out the coffee grinds and add the coffee to the secondary for 7 days before kegging the final beer. Use a quality roasted coffee of your choosing. I have a local roaster that I like, but any quality coffee you like will work.

If you brew it let me know what you think.

OG:1.067
FG:1.022
ABV: 6.5%
IBU: 40
SRM: 47

Grain:
9 lbs. US Pale Malt (2-Row)
1 lbs. Flaked Barley
1 lbs. Carmel/Crystal -60L
1 lbs. Chocoalate Malt
.5 lbs. Roasted Barley
.5 lbs Carafa III
1 lbs Lactose (added at the end of the boil)

Mash: Single Infusion
60 minutes @ 156 degrees F
10 minutes @ 168 degrees F

Boil:
.85 oz US Magnum @ 60 (14.0%AA)
.15 oz US Magnum @ 5 (14.0%AA)

Fermentation:
14 days @ 66 degrees F
7 days @ 66 degrees F (cold steeped coffee, directions in the description)

http://michiganhomebrewer.blogspot.com/2014/11/cappucino-stout-coffee-milk-stout.html

photo:

photo-20.jpg

Looks really good. I'm starting to build a recipe for a Mocha Stout (a chocolate & coffee milk stout).

I think I'm going to pull inspiration from this, as well as Yooper's Oatmeal Stout.
Thanks for the recipe!

I thought about adding some cocoa nibs to the secondary, but I wanted a strong coffee flavor so I'm glad I didn't. Still I bet it would have been good with the chocolate too.

Just curious, is this for a 5 gallon batch? I new to the brewing game and this looks like something I want to try.

@Fatlax73
Welcome to brewing! The batch size in most recipes is in the information right at the top. This one is 5.25 gallons (4th line of text in the original post). The OP would have to chime in for the actual reason, but my guess is to account for loss to trub so that he still gets a full 5 gallons of drinkable beer into bottles or kegs. Cheers!

I always build my brews to put 5.25 to 5.5 gallons into the fermenter so that I have a full 5 gallons of clean beer into a keg without siphoning up yeast/trub from the bottom of the bucket.

Mine came out with a strong coffee flavor. But considering this was my second attempt at home brew it turned out pretty damn good!

Me too. It brings up a good point, regarding coffee in beer. The strength of coffee flavor and aroma is always dependent on the beans used. Also, how much flavor and aroma you want in the beer is individual.

Back