Cantillon Gueuze - how long to shelve it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I had some gueuzes in the past. But it was always on tap or at a beer fest or in Brussels. My brother gave me a big bottle of Cantillon Gueuze. I'm wondering how long I should/could cellar this beer. Is there a point of diminishing returns? Thanks.

It's really up to you. It's good now, but some people cellar them for 10+ years. If you are cellaring, make sure you have proper conditions.

Thanks guys. Forgot to mention this is a Tilquin. Not that it changes anything. My brother got another smaller bottle of it. So I think we will drink that one fresh and cellar the big boy.

Keep it for as long as you like. I'm heading over to Cantillon tomorrow - amongst other things they're going to be cracking open some 1996 Geuze.

Thanks for all the advice. My brother picked up a smaller bottle of Tilquin. We opened it last night and are going to shelve the big bottle for a while. Man was that good. Honestly, I didn't love it at first when it was straight out the fridge. But I really enjoyed it as I got deeper in the glass and it warmed up a bit. To put it in untappd terms, it went from about a 3.75 when I first poured it to about a 4.5 by the time I finished it. I think when it's super cold it's almost too bubbly, like champagne. I found that interesting.

Back