Can't take hydrometer reading...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanVTBrew

Reaction score
So I bought a thief, and a hydrometer to test the gravity of my first brew that was been fermenting for 11 days. I plan to leave it in primary for 2 weeks, but wanted to test the gravity. As it turns out, I don't have a single container that the hydrometer will fit in. This is just my luck!
The good news is, I got to taste the beer. For a flat, unfinished brew, it was absolutely delicious! I'm so pumped up now. It's super bitter (as you can see in my recipe, I naively added a little too much hops in the beginning of the boil.)
That's fine! I love a bitter beer. But I'd love to have everyone else enjoy it too. Is there anything I can do at this point to lessen the bitterness? Anyway, here's my recipe, I've posted it before. Thanks for any and all input given guys! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394013893.823608.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Are you by chance fermenting in a bucket? You can sanitize your hydrometer and drop it in there.

The bitterness will tone down the longer it sits, but it has a lot to do with the timing of when you tossed in the hop. You have 2 oz of what looks like to around 11-13% AA. That's pretty high, so I'm not sure how toned down it will be. Either way...it sounds like it'll turn out to be a great beer. Don't worry about everyone else and drink their share :)

The bitterness will condition out quickly. I hade two different brews out of the fermenter that were way over the top bitter wise, in two weeks bottled they have become my goto brews

I use the small tube the hydrometer came in. I just pull a sample in a 30mL syringe and fill the little tube with the hydrometer in it. Once I get my reading I take the hydrometer out and sample the small amount I've drawn out

They sell hydrometer jars, get a narrow one, so it doesn't gulp up all your beer.

In a pinch, the plastic sleeve your hydrometer came in can be used, as long as the bottom is solid, or if it is a stopper, you tape it down well so the bottom doesn't drop out on you. Don't ask me how I know. You got to hold the sleeve though or put it in a tall, heavy mug, it will tip over if left alone and break your hydrometer. We have a thread here paying tribute to the casualties. They're very fragile. Even drying with a thick towel can snap em. But most get crushed or roll off the counter.

I broke my first when "dropping" it in the thief. I didn't realize it would drop like a torpedo and then float back up. The lower the gravity the more it will sink. So sliding it in carefully is a better way.

Although a refractometer will measure gravity, if there's alcohol present it throws the reading way off. There are tables to correct, as long as you know your OG. I'd say a hydrometer is still the most accurate way.

Not much you can do about the extra bitterness. Just enjoy it for what it is, and maybe challenge some of your friends. :D

They sell hydrometer jars, get a narrow one, so it doesn't gulp up all your beer.

In a pinch, the plastic sleeve your hydrometer came in can be used, as long as the bottom is solid, or if it is a stopper, you tape it down well so the bottom doesn't drop out on you. Don't ask me how I know. You got to hold the sleeve though or put it in a tall, heavy mug, it will tip over if left alone and break your hydrometer. We have a thread here paying tribute to the casualties. They're very fragile. Even drying with a thick towel can snap em. But most get crushed or roll off the counter.

I broke my first when "dropping" it in the thief. I didn't realize it would drop like a torpedo and then float back up. The lower the gravity the more it will sink. So sliding it in carefully is a better way.

Although a refractometer will measure gravity, if there's alcohol present it throws the reading way off. There are tables to correct, as long as you know your OG. I'd say a hydrometer is still the most accurate way.

Not much you can do about the extra bitterness. Just enjoy it for what it is, and maybe challenge some of your friends. :D

You've broken quite a few right lol
Y

All the reading I've done says" not a question of If but When" the hydrometer breaks in the fermenter. I'm not keen on drinking whatever metals is in the glass vial.
Bought the thief,1st attempt and forgot the trub on the bottom and it clogged.
Now just tilt to the side and it fills nicely.
I'm not so sure about the refracrometer. variations in wort being mixed and the size of the sample. I'm happier with the large sample of the thief and allows me to taste it precarbing.

I use the small tube the hydrometer came in. I just pull a sample in a 30mL syringe and fill the little tube with the hydrometer in it. Once I get my reading I take the hydrometer out and sample the small amount I've drawn out

30ml? What size is that hydrometer? I think I need at least 6 to 10 ounces to drink..., I mean to test, depending on the tube diameter.

I was in the brewstore on Sunday and saw huge, wide ungraduated glass graduates looking to be used as (hydro) samples going by the label and where they were stored. They also had the acrylic or polycarbonate skinny ones and the next size wider.

You've broken quite a few right lol
Y

Nah, actually I've only broken that first one. But the tribute thread is great testimony and fun reading of unintended clumsiness. "... and suddenly, out of nowhere, my hydrometer ended up under my boil kettle...[sic]"

I did have the bottom of a similar sleeve, holding the floating thermometer, drop out on me, luckily only a fraction of an inch above the countertop. It didn't break there. That happened shortly after :D

I then bought a CDN electronic thermometer. Works way quicker and better.

I broke my first hydrometer on my first brew day. I dropped it into my fermenting bucket that was filled with sanitizer and, like Island-Lizard says above, it dropped like a torpedo, hit the bottom and shattered. I swear it even accelerated when it hit the solution.

Regarding the OP...

That is a nice tasty SMaSHy kind of brew. Citra is fantastic!

Did you make a starter for this?

Why the 14 + 7 days of dry hop and not 4 + 7?
Most aromas are extracted after 7 days. A few weeks won't harm but not benefit much either. Now some will claim potential extraction of grassy notes with longer dry hop times, but I doubt that happens in 3 weeks. Will you'll be cold crashing before you dry hop?

Are you planning to harvest the yeast for your next 3 batches? If so, racking to a secondary may make it easier unless you're not afraid of doing a bit of yeast washing. You'll get a fair amount of hop sludge from those 2 oz of dry hop.

I wasn't going to harvest the yeast, I have another vile of California ale yeast I'm going to use in my next batch. I haven't started dry hoppin yet, so I think I'll take your advice when I do. I think it will turn out awesome once conditioned! And If it is too bitter for anyone, my brother and I will enjoy it... Thanks guys!
Cheers!

I steal enough beer with my sanitized thief, then drop my sanitized hydrometer into the thief. Then I put most of the beer back into the fermenter (glass carboy, or 3gal better bottle), and put the last bit in a glass to sample.
I have a test jar for the hydrometer, but it's just one more step that I don't bother with.

Back