Cant stop messing with my logo...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
So here it is.. got the sun idea from someone else on the forum..

without rust spots..

suninbackjpg.jpg

with..
suspots.jpg

dont know if i like it with or without.. gimme your expert advise.. or just your advise..

Damn. That took me about 3 minutes to find the difference. lol

To many brews tonight..

I am pro rust spots, FYI.

Greg

Without the spots, it looks very "Pro Brewer" from before pro meant "Looks like my 5 year old did it". With the spots...It take Home brew to a new level. I like it better without, but not a lot better.
This would be cool if you used spray lacquer on it; just to jazz it even more.

BigKahuna said:
Without the spots, it looks very "Pro Brewer" from before pro meant "Looks like my 5 year old did it". With the spots...It take Home brew to a new level. I like it better without, but not a lot better.
This would be cool if you used spray lacquer on it; just to jazz it even more.

Sorry, I have no clue what you are saying here...

w/o spots then..

I like it with the spots for one reason: at first glance I immediately thought of wind blowing the leaves off the tree. I thought that was cool as it added a dynamic aspect to the label and carried the eye over it as a whole. Maybe change the spots to tiny leaves and arrange them to exhibit a consistent force application from a one or two directional vector to demonstrate a breeze?

The tree by itself seems ominous in this respect, like the tree in the end of "Carnivale" from HBO.

The tree with blowing leaves, maybe even just a few still attached, is more organic and in tune with a change of season.

I dunno, just my $.02.

I am with JohnA111, you can try to make the spots look more like leaves blowing in the wind.

But if I were to pick between the two NOW, I would say w/o spots

ok, without then..

someone tell me how to lock that .psd file before i mess it up anymore.

i tried it with the leaves.. not going to happen.. i didnt like the way they stood out.

To tell you the truth, I like it better without the sun, too. The ray lines get pretty busy. If you want some more texture to the label, a slow transition from darker to lighter, from that spot where the sun is and radiating out, might be nice.

I'm totally talking out of my butt, though. :)

TL

aekdbbop said:
Sorry, I have no clue what you are saying here...

w/o spots then..
Ya, Without the spots! Sorry I wasn't more clear.
SO many of the "Micros" in our beer coolers look like a 5 year old scribbled on the label with a crayon. Your logo looks great.

TexLaw said:
To tell you the truth, I like it better without the sun, too. The ray lines get pretty busy. If you want some more texture to the label, a slow transition from darker to lighter, from that spot where the sun is and radiating out, might be nice.

TL

cool.. that is a good idea.. ill mess with it (even though i said i was done) when i get a chance tonight.

Without spots looks best. Maybe add a tiny squirl on one of the branches. See how long it takes people to notice it.

BigKahuna said:
Ya, Without the spots! Sorry I wasn't more clear.
SO many of the "Micros" in our beer coolers look like a 5 year old scribbled on the label with a crayon. Your logo looks great.

ah, ok, gotcha..

TexLaw said:

TL

here.. how about this.. kinda like it

sunfade.jpg

gives the sun more of a rising feel..

aekdbbop said:
here.. how about this.. kinda like it

gives the sun more of a rising feel..

That is starting to look really good. I like the rays cause they draw your eye to the tree BUT with that gradiant they look a little out of place. I would try changing the color of the rays to match the darkest color in the gradiant so they kind of fade in. Also run a little bit of a gaussian blur to soften the lines of the ray. Not sure how you would do that in pds though

Virtuous said:
That is starting to look really good. I like the rays cause they draw your eye to the tree BUT with that gradiant they look a little out of place. I would try changing the color of the rays to match the darkest color in the gradiant so they kind of fade in. Also run a little bit of a gaussian blur to soften the lines of the ray. Not sure how you would do that in pds though

with the blur...

sunfuz.jpg

I gotta stick with the first one of all your labels. I like the hard rays. They match the tone of the thing better: Stark, a little bit lonely. Folksy in a just barely unsettling way.

Or I could be wrong.

I really like the one with the blur! The depth really shows off the tree, while the minimal contrast near the top allows easy reading for your slogan. The blur between the rays also sets off the clean lines of the tree, which really is the focus of the label. Nice!

TL

TexLaw said:
I really like the one with the blur! The depth really shows off the tree, while the minimal contrast near the top allows easy reading for your slogan. The blur between the rays also sets off the clean lines of the tree, which really is the focus of the label. Nice!

TL
I agree, I thought the hard lines were fighting with the tree for attention, now they draw my eye in.

personally i liked it a lot with the spots but before the sun was added. just my two sense...either way a nice logo!

Great looking logo! Had you ever considered wrapping the banner around the frame instead of it curling in front of the frame?

No spots, keep the gradient, try a little less blur - just enough to soften the edges, but not so much that it gets muddy.

It's really looking good, though!

Back