Can't remember if I already used potassium sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I am in a delemia. I have 2 one-gal batches of blackberry wine. But I just returned from a long business trip and I cannot remember if I already treated them with potassium sorbate or not.

Should I just add potassium metabisulfite? Should I retreat with both?

Any suggestions would be great

Add a half rate of meta, burb it good and let it sit a few days. Fortifying is a great way to sweeten and stop fermintation.
Or since they are only one gallon jugs cold shock stop fermintation for a week in the fridge then sweeten.
Cheers

I don't think that sorbate has any flavor, so I believe you can add both, and if you doubled on the sorbate, no biggie. If anyone knows anything contrary, please correct me.

I'm one of those people who can taste even slight amounts of sorbate, and find it unpleasant, but many others don't taste it at all. I think just sweetening a sample and seeing if it ferments again would answer the question, but maybe a taste could as well if you were sensitive to sorbate.

Back