Quantcast

Can't remember if I already used potassium sorbate

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I am in a delemia. I have 2 one-gal batches of blackberry wine. But I just returned from a long business trip and I cannot remember if I already treated them with potassium sorbate or not.

Should I just add potassium metabisulfite? Should I retreat with both?

Any suggestions would be great

hamiltonkiler

Reaction score
Add a half rate of meta, burb it good and let it sit a few days. Fortifying is a great way to sweeten and stop fermintation.
Or since they are only one gallon jugs cold shock stop fermintation for a week in the fridge then sweeten.
Cheers

Reaction score
I don't think that sorbate has any flavor, so I believe you can add both, and if you doubled on the sorbate, no biggie. If anyone knows anything contrary, please correct me.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
I am in a delemia. I have 2 one-gal batches of blackberry wine. But I just returned from a long business trip and I cannot remember if I already treated them with potassium sorbate or not.

Should I just add potassium metabisulfite? Should I retreat with both?

Any suggestions would be great
this is why one should take notes .

OP
GeneDaniels1963

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
this is why one should take notes .
I do, but I was getting ready for a big international trip and I think I forgot to write that down. I am 75% sure I did treat them, but since I don't have notes, I cannot be sure.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm one of those people who can taste even slight amounts of sorbate, and find it unpleasant, but many others don't taste it at all. I think just sweetening a sample and seeing if it ferments again would answer the question, but maybe a taste could as well if you were sensitive to sorbate.