Can't grow hops vertical how to grow them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
My hops where growing great but I only had about 5 or 6 ft of vertical space to grow. Now they seem to have stopped growing and I'm not sure what to do, these hops are in there 2nd year.

mine are doing the same thing, i have second year hallertau, the way i wanted to grow them is like on a clothesline but i put wire mesh on top, i thought they would grow all the way across it but they have stopped growing

mine are doing the same thing, i have second year hallertau, the way i wanted to grow them is like on a clothesline but i put wire mesh on top, i thought they would grow all the way across it but they have stopped growing
Yup cause they grew to 5 or 6 ft fast then stopped and now it looks like I wont be getting any hops:(

I grow one of my plants up and around a basic size trellis for as long as I can then I attach a jute string from the top of the trellis across to the back end of my shed. The string does slope upward slightly but I had to train them the whole season thus far as they kept wanting to grow upwards. The jute string is fibrous enough that the bine took nicely to it and grew where I wanted it to.
Did you fertilize at the beginning of the season? If so, have you done it again recently? Now is about the time I give my plants some food. I'll probably do it again in July as well.
FWIW- My plants are all in their 3rd year.

I have the same issue with height. See my attached photos. I’m trying to build a “hedge”. Once the bine reaches the top I pruned the tip. Recently, I started training the bine going down. This is my first time growing hops. I’m in Southern Alabama. The hop variety that I’m trying is Cascade and Magnum.

Attachments

• 5E4E0448-6C38-4C61-B82F-227AF33A865A.jpeg
    5E4E0448-6C38-4C61-B82F-227AF33A865A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 85
  • DD5B2B68-0162-4487-95D4-B0199177A847.jpeg
    DD5B2B68-0162-4487-95D4-B0199177A847.jpeg
    681.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 9233B793-326D-4D48-A6B0-BC86E5A3CFA4.jpeg
    9233B793-326D-4D48-A6B0-BC86E5A3CFA4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • C70344E7-1A1D-4B06-A003-EAA072AF0869.jpeg
    C70344E7-1A1D-4B06-A003-EAA072AF0869.jpeg
    955.2 KB · Views: 81
I know it is late but this is how I do. Come up about 4' and then slope up to a hook 12' away at top edge of the fence. Bines need some training first foot or two after the bend onto the sloping rope. One photo is from a few of the arms I trained off the bine to top of fence while other shows the bines.
IMG_20190813_142259212_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190813_142241713.jpg

My hops where growing great but I only had about 5 or 6 ft of vertical space to grow. Now they seem to have stopped growing and I'm not sure what to do, these hops are in there 2nd year.
I chose not to grow mine vertically since up on our little mountain we can sometimes get some pretty high winds that pop up out of nowhere. As an experiment ,I built an arbor of sorts. 2 sets of 6 ft tall 4x4 posts with a spike in the bottom , mortised cross beams also 4x4s and a kicker brace . I ran the coir from the plant up to the top of the first frame then ran cables from one frame to the other. The hops trained up the coir naturally then jumps to the cable ...most of the time it self trains...I had to help it out a few times but my 1st year yield (so far, because theres more coming) was 16 oz of cones for 4 plants. see my posts and pics on the whole thing. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/posts/8661707/
IT DOES work.

Last edited:
I built a "hop teepee". I let two bines grow up twine in the middle of the teepee and when they reached the top, I lowered the twine and eventually started wrapping the twine around the outside of the teepee as the bines grew. In the end, the bines were probably 15 feet or longer.

IMG_0630.JPG

Helical. Will still be vertically inclined but will use horizontal space. Big dang helical. 3 foot diameter or more.

Sorry. 1 Meter diameter or more.

When I lived in Washington I grew sterling and goldings along an unused clothesline in the back yard. The goldings did okay and I always got more sterlings than I could use.
image4.JPG

I built a "hop teepee". I let two bines grow up twine in the middle of the teepee and when they reached the top, I lowered the twine and eventually started wrapping the twine around the outside of the teepee as the bines grew. In the end, the bines were probably 15 feet or longer.

View attachment 642115

How is the teepee working out for you? I'm trying to figure out how best to do mine...I don't think the HOA would appreciate a 20 foot trellis poking up from my backyard...

That's not a bad idea...we have a swing set but my kids (almost all 3 are teens) occasionally use the swings and I'm sure they'd show little regard for the plants...haha.

Back