Can't get this batch clear.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I have done nothing different with this batch than previous batches except try more clearing techniques. I use moss in the boil, I added gelatin to the keg after it was chilled, and cold crashed at 35f for almost a week. It's still cloudy as heck, it's just a bitter so it's not the hops. What else can it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Extract or all grain? If it is all grain and you didn't get full conversion you could have some starch in there. Starch haze may not ever clear.

It's AG. I got 80% efficacy out of it and have been mashing a bit warmer these days so I can't imagine that would be an issue.

Could washed yeast have anything to do with it?

Did you get a good hot break and a quick chill? Those things help too.

Otherwise, just give it time. I bet it'll clear over the course of a couple weeks/one month.

I don't remember exactly but I didn't do anything different. As far as the chilling I get it down to 70 in about 30 min, like usual.

Filter it through your kidneys and it will come out clear!! Alternatively, you can send it to me and I'll see what I can do...

I have had similar issues on occasion. Right now I have a nut brown that is cloudier than a hurricane and an IPA that you could read through. Same process, same amount of time in cold storage. I put it down to one of life's little mysteries.

Thankfully for me, I don't compete my beers, so I really don't care if it's cloudy - although I have been known to crow about my awesomeness when I get a really clear batch.

If you ever figure out what's causing it, I'd love to hear. Best of luck!

I recently had a similar problem with a reused yeast. I used gelatin and cold crashed and nothing. I dropped my keggerator to near freezing. It finally dropped clear after about a month. I would give it more time. Pull a pint a week until it clears.

I recently had a similar problem with a reused yeast. I used gelatin and cold crashed and nothing. I dropped my keggerator to near freezing. It finally dropped clear after about a month. I would give it more time. Pull a pint a week until it clears.

See I used reused yeast and wondered if that was it. Pisses me off too cause I have an ipa fermenting with the same yeast and can already tell it's going to be the same issue.

See I used reused yeast and wondered if that was it. Pisses me off too cause I have an ipa fermenting with the same yeast and can already tell it's going to be the same issue.

I knew better than to reuse it. I harvested it from a double IPA. The good news is after a month, the beer is really tasty.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392522785.339475.jpg here is where i am so far after everything. Way better than a few days ago but still wish it was better.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393110351.714046.jpg
Here's what I have after another week and a few more pours. I'm satisfied at this point.

Back