Cant get the wort to boil down..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing a batch, starting with 7 gallons. It's been boiling for almost 90 minutes and it hasn't boiled down that much. maybe a half gallon. Where I'm boiling the wort is very windy. I add some metal around the fryer to help, but it's not..I have 15 minutes left..WTF..Any suggestions.

I'm brewing a batch, starting with 7 gallons. It's been boiling for almost 90 minutes and it hasn't boiled down that much. maybe a half gallon. Where I'm boiling the wort is very windy. I add some metal around the fryer to help, but it's not..I have 15 minutes left..WTF..Any suggestions.

Wow, I usually boil off almost two gallons in an hour. Is this a very narrow pot?

You could point a fan at the surface of the boiling wort to help carry vapor off. Otherwise, just do whatever you can to get the boil as vigorous as possible.

yeah, you'll end up under your gravity when you pitch if you don't boil it off but that might not be a bad thing. What's your recipe? Starting gravity? Style?

When I emptied my keggle there was maybe 1/2-3/4 gallon left. I brewed BM's Cent blonde recipe. The recipes OG was 1.038. Mine was 1.044. I guess it is ok. Over the course of the 90 min boil it didn't seem like it was a rolling boil most of the time. It just seemed kinda stagnate. I hope it was enough.

It was a very windy day. I usually put some metal shething around the burner to help from the wind. Today it kept falling down.

Back