Can't get the beer smell out of my primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bringitonhome

Reaction score
So once I racked my first brew to secondary - i just can't get the beer smell out of my primary - an ale pail plastic bucket. I cleaned twice each with bleach and OxiClean. Is this just par for the course, or am i going to impart off flavors, or worse, attract infections going forward?

+1

fill the pale with warm (not hot) water and put about a quarter of a scoop of oxiclean in it. Leave it overnight and rinse really really well in the morning. It'll be like new. BTW don't scrub a pale any more than is absolutely necessary... which for most people is never. Tiny surface scratches can harbor nasties.

For me I can't seem to get the hop smell out of my pail, but I don't worry about it. Never really noticed any off flavors in any beers, and I use a dedicated Better Bottle for any wine/apfelwein. In other words, if you can't get rid of it, don't worry.

Yea, as was just said I wouldn't worry about it too much. My pale's always keep that beer smell. It is not going to adversly affect any of your batches afterwards. Just clean real well and thats the best you can do.

You figure any batches you ferment in the bucket next will come with their own strong beers smells that will overpower any lingering scents already there. I don't think you'll ever notice an off flavor due to it as long as it is cleaned well.

Thanks folks.
Yeah, It's about as clean as it's gonna get. Maybe I'll move to glass eventually. Have the batch in secondary right now in a better bottle. Do those hold on to odors, too?

ill get flamed by everyone for saying it... thats why glass is better.

ill get flamed by everyone for saying it... thats why glass is better.

+1. Glass has some nice benefits when it comes to cleaning and sanitation. Just one really big bad downside if a full one breaks on ya.

Mine always smell a bit beery. I just clean with soap and water, and sanitize well after. 25 batches or so in two buckets and no issues so far. I don't think that the slight beer aroma is going to overpower the 5+ gallons of new stuff you put in there.

Same for me. I am using the Cooper's fermenter. After 4 batches, it is getting very difficult to remove the same even after using soap and elbow grease. I am going to try PBW and see whether the "beerish" smells will be removed after soaking overnight.

I've let mine soak overnight with starsan in it and it was spotless and odorless the next day. This wasn't on purpose to clean the bucket, I didn't have anyplace else to put the starsan and I was going to use it again.

Back