Can't get hose and barb to seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingHorse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had a slow leak drain my CO2 tank; thought it was one of my kegs but have identified the problem as the connection of the gas line to the barb on the gas-in disconnect...have already done the following:
- swapped out the disconnect
- cut an inch from the end of the line
- swapped out the hose clamp
- desperately, tried teflon tape on the barb
- switched to 3/16" line (and did all of the above, again)

Still, gas is leaking at this connection. Any suggestions?

could it be leaking from the tapered seal between the fitting and the regulator/connector?

What type of hose clamp are you using?

The screw type has a reputation of bunching up and leaking according to the LHBS owner I do business with.

He recommends and only sells a crimp type clamp.

Also I would recommend using either soapy water or a strong soultion of Star-San that is brushed on the area where you suspect a leak. Look for the formation of bubbles to indicate the presence of a leak.

I noticed that some of my hose clamps were bottoming out, theywouldn't tighten down any more, the screw was just spinning. Are you using too big a hose clamp?

if you are using the worm clamps, as stated above, get rid of them. i isolated a huge number of leaks to using those clamps. i have since switched to stepless oetiker clamps. you generally can't find these at home depot or lowes (at least i haven't been able to find them), so i bought them in bulk at mcmaster. you can also get them off ebay or other websites as well.

gnef said:
if you are using the worm clamps, as stated above, get rid of them. i isolated a huge number of leaks to using those clamps. i have since switched to stepless oetiker clamps. you generally can't find these at home depot or lowes (at least i haven't been able to find them), so i bought them in bulk at mcmaster. you can also get them off ebay or other websites as well.

Got a part number? Thanks!

FWIW, I was able to find Oetiker clamps and crimping tool locally at a place that sells and services Seadoo's and other watercraft.

for my 1/4'' ID, 3/8'' OD air line, i use mcmaster part number: 52545K27

for my 3/16'' ID, 7/16'' OD, i use mcmaster part number: 52545K51

i believe mcmaster also sells the pinching tool, but i had bought mine previously on ebay. if you don't have one and don't want to buy one, i've heard you can get away with wire-cutter pliars. the tool can be found cheaply enough though.

I have found that the wire-cutter pliers cut into the clamps and don't crimp them well. The crimping tool made for Oetiker clamps have dull jaws and won't cut into the clamps. It's worth the extra money, IMHO.

Thanks all. I've temporarily solved the problem (I used two worm clamps...tested at 40 PSI and no leaks). But I'm adding the oetiker clamps/tool to my (never-ending) shopping list.

if you plan on using worm clamps for any decent length of time, check for leaks periodically, as i have found that over time they can leak. i check my system even after using oetiker, but have found much fewer problems.

make sure you get the stepless oetiker clamps though. stepped clamps suffer the same difficulties in sealing that the worm clamps do. the problem is in the way they seal, where the screw drives the band, and where the ear is pinched on the oetiker non-stepless, there is a gap, or a flat spot. this is where the leak occurs. with stepless, it has a tongue-in-groove design, which seals the entire way around the tubing, with no gaps or flat spots, this is why i consider them to be superior.

Back