Can't figure this out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnninator

Reaction score
Started a batch of "Brewers Best - Weizenbier" Sunday night, everything went well and my OG was 1.050 which is in range of where the instructions said it should be. I constantly checked the airlock for signs of fermentation until Wednesday morning, at this point I was mildly concerned and figured if I didn't see anything that night, I would take a reading on the hydrometer to see if maybe I missed it. I also went to the local homebrew shop to see what they suggested and they said the same thing about checking the gravity, but also suggested I buy some more yeast in case it hadn't started fermenting. Went home that night and still no go. I took a reading and it said 1.020 so I figured i must have missed it but it wasn't completely done yet because it was supposed to be between 1.010-1.014 according to the instructions. I figured I would check it in another couple days to see if anything has changed and it hasn't, it is still at 1.020 as of 10 minutes ago.

Any Suggestions? It seems to have stalled and I'm not sure what to do at this point, and the homebrew shop is closed until Monday.

Sorry if this is too long, wanted to be as detailed as possible. And thanks in advance for the help.

When did you get a reading of 1.020 the first time? If you only started this on Sunday, you are only five days in, so give it another week or so fermenting and it will be all done. The yeast will get better attenuation, just give them time.

I'd wait at least a few more days before taking another reading.

What is the temp of your fermentor? The temp may have dropped causing a slower ferment.

I've got it in the little fridge I usually use for my keg, I have the thermostat set to 70 and the thermometer I have in there has read 70 every time I have checked it.

Are you using a bucket or glass carboy for fermentation? If a bucket, your seal probably isn't good. If a carboy, replace that airlock. You really shouldn't miss some kind of airlock activity.

As far as the fridge temp, remember that when the yeast are active, they put out heat and 70 in the fridge isn't 70 in that fermenter. Get a stick thermometer so you can get accurate temps during fermentation. Looks like you got a good setup with a fermentation fridge.

It's in a bucket, how would i determine if it is a problem with the bucket? Do I just replace the whole thing?

When I put light pressure on the lid, I do get bubbles in the airlock so...

If you have a black o-ring in the lid, it probably needs replaced. If no o-ring, get one. Sounds like airs escaping. If you just got the bucket, I would say something to someone where you got it, they probably will help you out. In the future, it'll give you a peace-of-mind.

OK, it's been almost a week (6 days) since I first read 1.020. I just did a reading about five minutes ago, and it's still 1.020.

Like I said, the gravity should be between 1.010 and 1.014.

What should I do?

I like the Brewer's Best kits, but I have had some problems with getting them to go below 1.020. I wonder if it's the type of liquid extract they use. If it tastes good, I'd bottle it. It's probably not going to go any lower.

The very first brew I did never went below 1.020 and was only about a 3.2 beer but it sure drank up just fine!

1.020 Curse

Seems like a lot of people have this problem. I just did the Brewer's Best German Alt kit and had a steady reading of 1.020 over three days. It tasted pretty good so I racked it to a secondary yesterday, not really worried about it. I have a feeling the yeast you used simply said "Munton's Dried Active Brewing Yeast" - or something like that - and didn't actually list a strain. I don't think that pitching more yeast is worth it at this point. I say just bottle and enjoy it!

Back