Can't figure my alcohol %

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StainlessBrewing

Reaction score
OG was 1.038 65-70 degrees It was at the 5% potential alcohol level
FG 1.060 75 degrees

Did I take a wrong measurement?

I'm guessing right around 5% but I can't tell if it's 5.1 or 5.5 or whatever

When did you take that OG measurement; before the boil (and evaporation)?

It shouldn't have gone up.

Going to need a lot more deets.

An easy formula for ABV% is (OG-FG) x 131

In your case, it's not possible to have a FG of 1.060, so we are assuming you meant 1.006. If that's correct, the formula would be (1.038-1.006) x 131 = 4.19%.

also - completely ignore the 'potential alcohol' markings on the hydrometer, they're meaningless

The formula for the ABV% of a blonde ale is (OG-FG) x 131, if you were trying to figure it out for say, a robust porter, you would need to follow this formula: (OG-FG) x 131 :D

Have you verified the calibration of your hydrometer yet? check it in 60° distilled water, it should read 1.000.

OG was 1.038 65-70 degrees It was at the 5% potential alcohol level
FG 1.060 75 degrees

Did I take a wrong measurement?

I'm guessing right around 5% but I can't tell if it's 5.1 or 5.5 or whatever

I thought your question was about the temperature effect on SG and it being different when you took readings was throwing you off. Not so?

The formula for the ABV% of a blonde ale is (OG-FG) x 131, if you were trying to figure it out for say, a robust porter, you would need to follow this formula: (OG-FG) x 131 :D

Have you verified the calibration of your hydrometer yet? check it in 60° distilled water, it should read 1.000.

I will try that, thanks.

Back