Can't explain this leak in my kegging system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
Lost 31 lbs of CO2 while on a 16 day vacation. Prior to that I had my system set up perfectly and gone through about 4-5 kegs with no issues at all. I took regular weighings and other checks to be sure I had no leaks. Then, I go on a 16 day vacation and out of the blue...kaput! Tanks is empty? After 10.5 hours in the car I was looking forward to a cold one. Has anyone ever had this happen?

Yes I have had this happen to me on a smaller scale. If you're losing 2lbs. of Co2 per day it should be an easy leak to find. Pressurize your system, shut off the Co2 cylinder and watch the gauge, it should go down rather quickly. Repeat only take one keg off line, watch gauge. Repeat process removing the second keg and so on working backward thru the rest of the system once the kegs are all eliminated to the Co2 cylinder. You can check the regulator connections (inlet, outlet and guages) and the cylinder valve packing with a soapy water mixture.

I lost a tank in a few days once. I hooked up a newly filled keg and it must have been leaking around the top hatch. Ever since, I double check for leaks when I hook up a keg and then I check the gauge the next day.

Sorry that happened to you , I usually turn off my main on the tank and disconnect gas lines when I leave on vacation. When I get back I re clean all the lines, and drink some bottled beers.

Sorry that happened to you , I usually turn off my main on the tank and disconnect gas lines when I leave on vacation. When I get back I re clean all the lines, and drink some bottled beers.

I usually do the same, but forgot this time. Just stunned that it happened since I have had no problems with leaks since I last filled this keg and have two on it now that were leak free. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks all for the input.

Sounds like the co2 gremlin, he stopped by my house a few times. One thing I found that stops him is snugging the hell out of the swivel nut to disconnect. If they are not snug, they can develop a small leak while changing a keg.

Was anyone home while you were away?
Are you kegs just as full as they were before, been alot of kegerator robberys in my area...

...although i think its my father inlaw =O

Until you've isolated the leak, it's going to be hard to explain it.

Maybe a clamp failed, post might have loosened, etc. Too many points of failure to guess until you tell us where you found the leak.

Was anyone home while you were away?
Are you kegs just as full as they were before, been alot of kegerator robberys in my area...

...although i think its my father inlaw =O

No one. The kegs are still full. Just looks like a failure somewhere in the setup that I need to fix.

GLWIII said:
No one. The kegs are still full. Just looks like a failure somewhere in the setup that I need to fix.

When you state" the kegs are still full" are you referring to beer or beer and Co2 pressure?

I found the culprit. A brass elbow that I use to transition from the outside of my fridge to the inside had a hairline crack. Strange since I had not a problem for quite some time, then all of a sudden it's an issue. Must have banged something against it at some point and not even realized it.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the assist.

Back