Can't decide which keg kit to buy! (long)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jheist

Reaction score
Which keg kit should I buy? Just bought a regular sized fridge and completely new to kegging! Should I just go ahead and start with the faucets on the outside or start with the standard picnic tap and step up later (keeping money fairly low is an issue)

standard 2 keg, ball lock, dual-body kit ($220): http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=324
Probable total price $260

OR

premium 2 keg ball lock, taprite reg ($215): http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=464 (then upgrade to dual body for $35 extra) Probable total price $300

OR

2 faucet, 2 keg, fridge conversion kit, with dual body reg: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=336 ($265)
Probable total price $305

OR

the taprite fridge converrsion for $260 (that I would probably spend 35 bucks more for dual-body, $295)?
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=47
Probable total price $335

Basically it comes down to faucet vs picnic tap and type of regulator. Plus I don't know enough to decipher the difference between the premium and standard besides regulator. Any of these I will upgrade to a 10 # tank for 20 bucks and shipping will be around 20.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

If you're eventually planning to mount faucets on the door, i'd just go all out right now. I'm not sure about the regulators--i have a standard one from kegconnection and another from midwest. Both work fine.

If you have the money, i'd also strongly suggest upgrading to perlick faucets. If you don't buy them now you'll regret it later. In fact, if money is an issue i'd opt to get the perlicks rather than the more expensive regulator.

I just started kegging about a month ago. I also bought my setup from kegconnection and was very pleased. They have great customer service and I couldn't be any happier with my kegerator. I got the 2 faucets (upgraded to Perlicks - they are awesome), 2 kegs (pressure valve was busted on one, they sent a replacement valve out right away), with dual reg. I already had a 10# tank, so that saved some green.

As for advice, I say definitely go for the faucets on the outside. It just looks awesome and everyone creams over them. Including me. They just rock.

I purchased the dual regulator and have already forced carbed one keg while serving another. Definitely very useful. Dual reg is the way to go. I didn't get the premium (taprite) regulator, but I wouldn't know the difference, as I have only used the standard (chumlee or something) one and it works just fine.

I know you say you are staying within a budget, but if you can afford it (especially if you can spring a few extra bucks for the perlicks), go whole hog and get the one you really want. You only live once. After seeing how cool it was, even my wife was OK with the $325 i ended up spending (I also got the Carbonater - awesome; and the Sanke connector - for commercial kegs) - but it was my birthday after all!

My next question was going to be if it's worth it to spring for the Perlicks if I get the faucets and so far it seems to be a resounding yes! The Sanke connector is tempting as well! This is hard! If I get some more of the same opinions then I will probably spring for the faucet kit with perlicks.

+1 on the perlicks! They are smooth as butter, my brewing buddies have normal taps and have to dismantle and clean them much more often than I do because they tend to stick much easier. I also say go for the outside taps. You will probably eventually upgrade to these later on anyway and they look very nice. I also have a dual body reg. Very nice to be able to have 2 different psi's. You can be carbing one keg while drinking out of the other. Whichever way you decide to go, I strongly recommend buying through kegconnection. They have superb customer service and will customize any order the exact way that you want it.

1) If you're gonna get faucets, get the Perlicks! Worth every penny, and cake to clean.
2) POS kegs are fine - As long as they aren't bent up at the lid, o-rings are cheap. Pay more if you like them to be shiny! $16 at McMaster will get you (100) post o-rings, (100) dip tube o-rings, and (10) lid o-rings. Don't give the LHBS or anyone else $5+ for a set of 5 rings!
3) Get a single body regulator - The cheapest one you can find. Extra points if it doesn't even have a high pressure gauge! If you want to force carb at higher than serving pressure, get a dual body regulator. That's the only reason I have found useful (So far) I have both, and use the single body more than the duals. I also believe you should carb at serving pressure ;)
4) Picnic taps are great, if you don't mind opening the door to get your beer! You can build them for about $8 each (tap, QD, and hose). Remember that when you look at shank and faucet prices.

If you're just starting out in kegging, and you don't mind opening the door to get your beer, spend your bling $$ on extra kegs - You'll need more kegs long before you will get sick of opening the door on the fridge ;)

If you're just starting out in kegging, and you don't mind opening the door to get your beer, spend your bling $$ on extra kegs - You'll need more kegs long before you will get sick of opening the door on the fridge ;)

Good advice here. Spend the faucet money in kegs. I went almost a year with picnic taps...minor inconvienience compared to not enough kegs.

It looks as if you can't run 2 different pressures from the taprite regulator.

Is this correct?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just spoke with the nice fellow at kegconnection. :)

Any more suggestions today? Probably going to order today or tomorrow and still really undecided!

If you want to come home and get excited by seeing your fridge - be dazzled by some bling ~ dude, get the Perlicks~

i'm also so glad i got the dual reg - i use the sh@# out of it

If your budget is limited, you can get kegging with a lot less $$.

For instance:
5 Gallon Ball-Lock Kegs - $30.00 each
Disconnects
CHICompany has a single body primary used for $25 - Though I can't find it on their site right now...
Disconnects can be had for around $7 a set
Picnic taps are about $3 each.

So for each keg you need a tap - Picnic tap ($3), 6' hose ($3), an MFL "swivel nut" ($1), and a disconnect ($4) - $11 + shipping. Or you can get them assembled here for $14

Then all you need is a tank, which can be rented for next to nothing from a gas supplier, or purchased. The cheapest CO2 tanks I've found are at AquariumPlants.com (5# for $60)

So that's $25 for the regulator, $60 for the tank, $60 for 2 kegs, and $28 for 2 picnic taps.

$170 + shipping...

It's all in what you're looking for.

Thanks for breaking that down SweetSounds! Going to look into all that and see what kind of deal I can get.

1)If you're just starting out in kegging, and you don't mind opening the door to get your beer, spend your bling $$ on extra kegs - You'll need more kegs long before you will get sick of opening the door on the fridge ;)

Just a thought, if you do plan to get faucets later but don't want to spring for them now (I will again say everything I have read points towards going with perlicks, and not even thinking about regular ones) could you still drill your holes for the standard shankes and stick the tube through (fill the void with expanding foam) and stick your picnic taps on - AKA ghetto kegorator...... actually once I get around to building my keezer collar, etc (my birthday 29th Nov!) I might do this until I can get some perlicks! I will definately post that in the "show us your kegorator/keezer" thread!
:D

Or Craigslist! I'm slowly aquiring parts to build a kegerator. Just picked up a 10lb bottle for $35. Today on CL in my area, there is a full fridge kegerator conversion for sale for $75. Comes with the fridge, door tap, two handles, regulator, bottle, hoses and even a keg!

i got part of my kegerator setup on craigslist. 2 shafts and taps, hoses, barb connections, and miscellaneous connections for $50. same setup at lhbs was almost $150, when they would decide to order it in (and they still hadn't after 3 weeks of me asking them to)

Latest posts

Back