Can't decide how much hops to dry hop with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dry hop amounts?

• 1.5oz EKG, and that's all

• 1.5oz each of EKG and Fuggles (3oz total :eek:)

• 1oz each of EKG and Fuggles (2oz total)

• 1.5oz EKG, .5oz Fuggles (2oz total)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a dilemma... I have a batch in primary now (brewed 7/10/11), which is an English IPA... I'm planning to dry hop it with whole hops I have on hand. My inventory includes 1.5oz each of EKG and Fuggles. I was originally thinking of using the full 1.5oz of EKG in the batch. Then I was thinking of 1oz EKG and .5oz Fuggles... Then 1oz of each. If I do that, why not go the full 1.5oz of each, right?

For reference, I brewed a similar recipe and use .5oz each of EKG and Fuggles and it came out great. But this time I want more dry hop contribution to the brew. This batch is a bit stronger than the other one too.

Recipe as it stands:
Volume into primary: 5.75 gallons

Ingredients:
10# Pale Malt, UK 2 row (Golden Promise)
2# Pale Malt, UK 2 row, Maris Otter
1# Crystal Maris Otter (55 SRM)
1# Honey Malt (25 SRM)
1.375oz Target hops (10.50% AA) 60 min
0.50oz EKG hops (5.00% AA) 20 min
0.50oz EKG hops (5.00% AA) 5 min
London Ale III (Wyeast #1318) with 1.6L starter

OG: 1.068
IBUs: 49
Color: 11 SRM
Estimated ABV: 7.0%

Mash profile: Single infusion, medium body.
Mash In: 16qt at 163.1F to hit 150F mash temp for 75 minutes
Mash Out: 12qt at 197.8F to hit 168F mash out.
Sparge with 10qt at 168.

I'm thinking about kegging all of this batch (3 gallon kegs). IF I want to give some to anyone, and they don't come to my place, I might get one of the bottling gun items to use on the keg (undecided as to which yet, but I have time). It's been in primary for just over two weeks now. I plan on going either two, or four, more weeks before going to keg. I'll dry hop for a full week before it goes to keg/bottle.

Since I'll probably be kegging the batch, how much hops should I use? I want to have some dry hop goodness remain in a month, or three, as I'm getting into the second keg. I might reserve that keg for a family holiday (in October) for people to enjoy. I don't want too much hop flavor early though. I'm NOT a hop-head in that I don't go for high IBU brews. I'd rather have a more modest IBU hit, but better flavors in the batch. I do think the hop greatness passed on the first batch a bit too soon. Hence my thinking of using more dry, whole, hops in this batch.

Do keep in mind, I don't want the dry hop flavors to overpower the brew. While one keg will have time to age/mellow, I still want to enjoy the other one.

Seems like a touch and go sort of thing but, I think one oz of each should be fine modest but not too modest you know. Fuggles shouldn't be over powering at all even with a full ounce. Of course depends on how much you age it, but unless you were doing a barley wine or something shouldn't be too big of a deal I would think. Late additions you can be more free with atleast by my experience. Maybe even try the 3oz total...

Hey how did that mead come out btw? I really want to do one soon!

Not sure if this will matter, but the EKG is 6.60% AA and the Fuggles is 4.10%...

Since there's a high chance this batch will go completely to keg, I could easily let it age for some time. Or tap the less filled keg (of the two) first and seeing how long before it gets to my 'great' range of flavor. I would like it to be really good come October, but I might just brew another batch for that gathering.

I have some time before I really need to decide... I was planning on letting the batch sit in primary for about 6 weeks, including the dry aging time frame. So I have just under three weeks before I need to decide.

It's interesting to see the votes so far... :D

Back