Canning Jar Gasket ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_m

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have a source for a silicone gaskets for canning jar accessories like those made by Norcal? I know I can obviously get them from Norcal but I usually buy this kind of stuff from McMaster Carr in bulk. Unfortunately I'm not seeing anything like it.

I have some of the Norcal CO2 harvesters and the gaskets have been failing due to Starsan exposure.

But I do use those plastic lids for storing yeast.

Do not use silicone for sealing anything over an extended period because that material literally cannot actually seal anything over an extended period...

Cheers!

Fluorine rubber (FPM or FKM) is a rather remarkable compound with all kinds of positive characteristics, but for our use the very low gas permeability is attractive. That said, I bought a 100 count of industry standard Buna-N ball lock post O-rings for small $$ a few years ago and still have around 90 of them :)

Cheers!

@day_trippr I read that thread with a lot of to and fro ing about silicone o rings, petroleum lube, silicone lube and the Buna N from Mc somewhere in USA.
So if I can find some 16 mm external diameter and 3mm cross section Fluorine orings would be okay for the gas posts and then I'll be colour coded as well to reduce idiocy risks.

Well, there are certain incompatibilities one must acknowledge, and using silicone grease on silicone o-rings is one of those "Don't Do That" unless you want to have dissolved rubber rings deposited inside your disconnects. In kind, don't use petroleum grease on Buna-N for the same reason. Which makes the solution easy: use Buna-N 'rings and silicone lube....

Cheers!

Thanks @day_trippr I had remembered that from the previous thread, I did think that Nitrile rubber was pretty impervious to petrochemicals and nasty stuff. The gloves I use at work resist all kinds of chemicals, normal latex hopeless, but those Buna-N rings and NBR rings are not pure ?
Thanks for the advice.

Back