Canning: How to keep cans under pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sohops

Reaction score
So I've been setting up a micro brewery for the past year and a half now. So far everything is going well and I am very close to having a completed line. I have invested over $15k into my setup so I'm serious about this.

I have a simple question. How do the big beer or drink companies keep their cans under pressure? Do they dose with liquid nitrogen. Is it canned in an vacuum, or is the magic in the drink itself?

My canning machine is working, but my 16oz cans are soft and after spending the past two months searching online and trying different techniques, I am at my wits end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I don't think they are pressurised, at least not like bottles are.
Your best bet is to ask on Probrewer forum.

a professional canning line doses the can with CO2 and then fills. Most breweries over-carb the beers in the brite to compensate for some loss in the canning process. So if you're aiming for a canning CO2 volume of 2.3 then set your brite for 2.8, or something along those lines.

Purged with CO2, filled until foam reaches the top, then sealed. But of course, CO2 that’s dissolved in the beer will come out of solution and fill the headspace until equilibrium is reached. How many volumes of CO2 are in your beer before canning? Maybe you need to overcarb slightly?

Did you ever get this issue resolved? Getting ready to can my first run in a couple weeks.

Back