canned kit expiry date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesampm

Reaction score
Hi all, LHBS has some Coopers cans on sale for 10 bucks each. They are over their expiry by a couple weeks, should I ignore it?

A couple of weeks past the date should be ok. I used the last one with a date of 6/09 (cooper's OS Lager),& got a salvator doppel bock color with Munton's plain extra light DME. Mine was darker because of it's age,not boiling. But it tasted great in the end,since the can's seal was good. So go ahead,& git-r-done!

I wouldn't mind getting some more of the old OS lager cans myself! They are a great,malt-forward Pre-hopped base to make several different brews out of. just add DME,hops,zest,spices...So much can be done with it. I think it's cooper's most versatile can.

I should have replaced the old yeast sachet,but seeing how tough the lil yeasties are,I decided to make a small starter to rouse them. 1 1/2C very warm water,add 1/4C DME. Cover with plastic wrap with quick check thermometer inserted. Wait till temp gets down to 75F-ish. I do it in a 2C (.5L) Pyrex measuring cup. Then pour in yeast sachet.
I let it sit for the 3.5 hours it took me to finish brewing,cool down,& top off. Then just stir the krausen covered cream & pour it in. Best to use a blow off for the 1st 4 days. By the next morning,that "old" yeast was trying to pop it's top. I got the ale depicted in my avatar.

There was a guy on here about 3 months ago that found a canned Cooper's kit from 1998. He replaced the yeast and brewed it, and said it came out fine.

Back