Canned hopped malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frumguzzler

Reaction score
Bought some canned extract at the brew store for 15$ that makes 5 gallons. This product comes from England. Still scratching:confused::confused::confused: my head on how 15 bucks can make 5 gallons. Instructions say only boil for 5 minutes???? Is this product ant good?

You can make drinkable beer with canned kits but generally the instructions that come with it are not that great. Many of them recommend adding a ton of sugar to increase your fermentables.

Some of those kits make 5 gallons, some only 3 gallons. What is the brand and style?

Is this a Muntons kit? I have done a Brewferm 'Abby" style that turned out verynice...
(was supposed to condition for 6 weeks or longer and I only have 4 of 8 ltrs left). needless to say it tastes alot better than a store bought still!

All a matter of ABV and style. You'd never get an IPA kit for that much, but a Bitter, Mild or Brown? No problem. Pre-hopped kits generally are no-boil or boil just long enough to sanitize.

There are even cheaper cans of hopped malt extract out there that will also yield decent 5-gallon batches of beer.

Your stats don't indicate where you're located, but look in the syrup section of your local supermarkets for 2.2 pound kits (a can of extract, plus a packet of yeast) of hopped "Premier Malt Exract" for under $6.00US.

There is also a thread in this very same forum devoted to the above extract that may answer some of your questions about extract brewing in general.

Pogo

Latest posts

Back